1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics/App Math Double Major?

1. Jan 1, 2007 #1
    I had considered doing a Physics (BS) and Applied Mathematics double major, but when I talked to my mom about it she said that she didn't think it was a good idea and wasn't quite sure if she wanted to pay for tuition beyond a four year plan. She said that she would be willing to change her mind if I really thought it was a good idea or had a good reason, and recently one of my math professors told me that it might be something worth considering. His reasoning was that a lot of later applied math courses focus on computational techniques that are very useful for work in industry. Right now I plan to go to grad. school for physics, and on top of doing research that I eventually plan on writing a thesis for I am not sure how well the scheduling would work out, even with the considerment of a five year plan.

I enjoy math, but physics is my true passion. I am a Junior right now, and I would need to take an additional six courses if I wanted the app. math major, which would be manageable with another semester or two. Would it really be worth it though? Are there any advantages to doing a double major?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2007 #2
    tell her you can finish them in 4 years. Then she will be happy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?