1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics as a Major

1. Nov 3, 2004 #1
    Hi everyone,

I am currently a freshman in an undergraduate science program who is thinking about majoring in physics with a biophysics specialization. I just wanted to hear from people who are currently in a physics major program or who have completed a physics major program, what its like to study physics. In addition, I want to find out which universities in North America offer a "solid" biopysics program.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

May I be allowed to continue being tacky and invite you to read a series of essays in my Journal here titled "So You Want To Be A Physicist"? It isn't targeted specificially for any particular specialization - because there isn't much sense of doing a particular specilization at the undergraduate level. There is, however, a lot of sense in trying to get as wide of a variety of experiences as possible.

Zz.

Edit: Ick! I didn't realize you are a double-poster, or I would not have responded. :(
    Edit: Edit: Oh, I take that back. You're a triple-poster! You even posted this on the HOMEWORK zone, of all places!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  4. Nov 4, 2004 #3
    I read it, they were great articles. However it seems to lack a part about post-graduate options (maybe I missed it?), and what is available to physics graduates in the workfield (not just specialized physics professions, but other things).

Great work, though!

5. Nov 4, 2004 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Those are coming.... It is, after all, only on Part 6.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?