Physics Major: Experiences & North American Biophysics Programs

In summary, the conversation is about a freshman in an undergraduate science program who is considering majoring in physics with a biophysics specialization. The person is seeking information about studying physics and universities in North America that offer a strong biophysics program. Another individual suggests reading a series of essays titled "So You Want To Be A Physicist" for more information. The original poster acknowledges reading the essays and mentions wanting more information about post-graduate options and job opportunities for physics graduates.
m2003
Hi everyone,

I am currently a freshman in an undergraduate science program who is thinking about majoring in physics with a biophysics specialization. I just wanted to hear from people who are currently in a physics major program or who have completed a physics major program, what its like to study physics. In addition, I want to find out which universities in North America offer a "solid" biopysics program.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
m2003 said:
Hi everyone,

I am currently a freshman in an undergraduate science program who is thinking about majoring in physics with a biophysics specialization. I just wanted to hear from people who are currently in a physics major program or who have completed a physics major program, what its like to study physics. In addition, I want to find out which universities in North America offer a "solid" biopysics program.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

May I be allowed to continue being tacky and invite you to read a series of essays in my Journal here titled "So You Want To Be A Physicist"? It isn't targeted specificially for any particular specialization - because there isn't much sense of doing a particular specilization at the undergraduate level. There is, however, a lot of sense in trying to get as wide of a variety of experiences as possible.

Zz.

Edit: Ick! I didn't realize you are a double-poster, or I would not have responded. :(
Edit: Edit: Oh, I take that back. You're a triple-poster! You even posted this on the HOMEWORK zone, of all places!

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
May I be allowed to continue being tacky and invite you to read a series of essays in my Journal here titled "So You Want To Be A Physicist"? It isn't targeted specificially for any particular specialization - because there isn't much sense of doing a particular specilization at the undergraduate level. There is, however, a lot of sense in trying to get as wide of a variety of experiences as possible.

Zz.

Edit: Ick! I didn't realize you are a double-poster, or I would not have responded. :(
Edit: Edit: Oh, I take that back. You're a triple-poster! You even posted this on the HOMEWORK zone, of all places!
I read it, they were great articles. However it seems to lack a part about post-graduate options (maybe I missed it?), and what is available to physics graduates in the workfield (not just specialized physics professions, but other things).

Great work, though!

mathlete said:
I read it, they were great articles. However it seems to lack a part about post-graduate options (maybe I missed it?), and what is available to physics graduates in the workfield (not just specialized physics professions, but other things).

Great work, though!

Those are coming... It is, after all, only on Part 6.

Zz.

1. What is a physics major and what does it involve?

A physics major is a program of study that focuses on the fundamental principles and laws that govern the natural world. It involves a combination of classroom lectures, laboratory experiments, and mathematical problem-solving. Students in a physics major will learn about topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics.

2. What kind of experiences can I expect as a physics major?

As a physics major, you can expect to have a hands-on and interactive learning experience. You will have the opportunity to work on experiments and projects in a laboratory setting, which will allow you to apply the theories and concepts you learn in class. You may also have the chance to participate in research projects with faculty or internships with companies or research institutions.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a physics major?

A physics major can provide you with a strong foundation in analytical thinking, problem-solving, and critical reasoning skills. These skills are highly valued in many fields and can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including research, engineering, finance, and technology. Additionally, a physics major can also prepare you for graduate studies in physics or related fields.

4. What are some notable North American biophysics programs?

Some notable North American biophysics programs include those at Harvard University, University of California-Berkeley, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Toronto, and Johns Hopkins University. These programs have a strong reputation and offer a diverse range of courses and research opportunities in biophysics.

5. Is a background in biology necessary for a biophysics program?

While a background in biology can be helpful, it is not always necessary for a biophysics program. Biophysics is an interdisciplinary field that combines principles from physics, biology, and chemistry. Many programs offer introductory courses to bridge any knowledge gaps and allow students from different backgrounds to succeed in the program.