Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics as a Major

1. Nov 3, 2004 #1
    Hi everyone,

I am currently a freshman in an undergraduate science program who is thinking about majoring in physics with a biophysics specialization. I just wanted to hear from people who are currently in a physics major program or who have completed a physics major program, what its like to study physics. In addition, I want to find out which universities in North America offer a "solid" biopysics program.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

May I be allowed to continue being tacky and invite you to read a series of essays in my Journal here titled "So You Want To Be A Physicist"? It isn't targeted specificially for any particular specialization - because there isn't much sense of doing a particular specilization at the undergraduate level. There is, however, a lot of sense in trying to get as wide of a variety of experiences as possible.

Zz.

Edit: Ick! I didn't realize you are a double-poster, or I would not have responded. :(
    Edit: Edit: Oh, I take that back. You're a triple-poster! You even posted this on the HOMEWORK zone, of all places!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  4. Nov 4, 2004 #3
    I read it, they were great articles. However it seems to lack a part about post-graduate options (maybe I missed it?), and what is available to physics graduates in the workfield (not just specialized physics professions, but other things).

Great work, though!

5. Nov 4, 2004 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Those are coming.... It is, after all, only on Part 6.

Zz.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook