What are the physics behind the internet?

In summary, a user named Kroose65 is seeking help on an assignment about the physics of the internet. Another user suggests using Google to find information on how the internet functions and reminds them that the internet is a source of information. A third user disagrees and explains how the internet relies on various forms of physics such as light, magnetism, and radiowaves. The original user thanks everyone for their help and will try using Google to find the information.
Kroose65
Hi all,

First all I am new here so if this is in the wrong spot I am sorry. I need to do an assignment for school about physics in relation to a technology, I choose the internet. The only problem is that I am not sure the information I got is correct or even enough. I've got stuff about how computers are able to reach each other over the internet but I don't know where to find any stuff about what waves the internet uses/emr's etc. If anyone knew any websites or even books that will explain it clearly that would be a great help!

Thank you all in advance, Kroose65

Physics news on Phys.org
Kroose65, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Have you used Google with the search terms "how does the internet function" yet? I did and got tons of sites explaining exactly what you have asked.

We have a saying here: "Google is you friend" It is a saying here because it contains a big truth. Learn to use Googel and Wikipedia, they are both your friends. Let us know if you have questions or doubts about what you find there. We here at PF are ready and willing to assist you along your journey.

The internet is pretty far away from pure physics I'd say.

The internet is information. That information exists in various forms while traveling or stored: as light, as magnetism, as radiowaves or as voltage.

You could shortly explain each of these phenomenoi or narrow it down to a single subject, like magnetic storage.

Hulkiedulkie said:
The internet is pretty far away from pure physics I'd say.

The internet is information. That information exists in various forms while traveling or stored: as light, as magnetism, as radiowaves or as voltage.

You could shortly explain each of these phenomenoi or narrow it down to a single subject, like magnetic storage.

Hulkiedulkie, Welcome to Physics Forums!

I respectfully disagree with the statement that light, magnetism, radiowaves, voltage and magnetic storage are "pretty far away from pure physics". It seems to me those things form a large and important part of pure physics. How the internet functions depends completely on those kinds of phenomena.

You are correct that the internet is a source of information. We have never had such a source before!

Cheers, Bobbywhy

Thanks guys, I will have a go now!

1. What is the physics behind the internet?

The internet is a vast network of interconnected devices and servers that allows for the transfer of data and information. This is made possible by the principles of physics, specifically electronic circuits and electromagnetic waves.

2. How do electronic circuits contribute to the functioning of the internet?

Electronic circuits are the building blocks of computers and other devices that connect to the internet. These circuits use electrical signals to process and transmit data, allowing for the transfer of information between devices on the internet.

3. What role do electromagnetic waves play in the internet?

Electromagnetic waves are used to transmit data through the internet. These waves are generated by devices such as routers and modems, and travel through the air or through cables to reach their destination. They allow for the wireless communication and connectivity that we experience on the internet.

4. How does the speed of light affect the internet?

The speed of light is a fundamental physical constant that plays a crucial role in the functioning of the internet. It determines the maximum speed at which data can travel through the internet, which is why we often measure internet speeds in terms of the time it takes for data to travel at the speed of light.

5. What are the challenges in maintaining the physical infrastructure of the internet?

Maintaining the physical infrastructure of the internet, such as cables, servers, and data centers, is a constant challenge due to the immense size and complexity of the network. Factors such as natural disasters, physical damage, and technological advancements require constant updates and maintenance to ensure the smooth functioning of the internet.