Working on my scientific script on quantum physics (sources for the Casmir effect)

In summary, any good english or german sources for Casimir effect, quantum fluctuations or zero point energy can be found on the internet.
raracon
Summary:: Any good english or german sources for Casimir effect, quantum fluctuations or zero point energy

Hello, fellow quantum physicists
I am currently writing a detailed physics script for my quantum physics project and I wanted to ask if you know some good internet sources on the theme of the casimir effect.
If you have something about vacuumfluctuations, vacuumpolarisation or Zero point energy I am happy to hear and read.

I've already got sources to all this stuff in german but it is a project with a partnering school in a english speaking country, so we need some english sources too

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

Can you say a bit about your math background? That will help us to suggest resources at the best level for your project. From your New Member Introduction it looks like you are maybe at the advanced high school calculus level?

raracon said:
Hello,
I am Rafael, 17 ,and I am looking forward to physics and quantum physics. I am fairly new to this topic since I discovered it as a topic of high interest in 10th grade (now I am in 11th grade).

Likes raracon
Heyho, my math background is base level 11th grade stuff. Like e function logarithmus function etc.
But I am really willing to learn calculus, so feel free to drop anything topic related. I will consume it :D

I am researching the calculus stuff on this website. My brain is getting bigger haha

Last edited:
If you google "Casimir effect pdf" you will probably find many lecture notes about the subject. Check whether some of them are helpful, and if you have questions, come back and ask.

raracon said:
Summary:: Any good english or german sources for Casimir effect, quantum fluctuations or zero point energy

Hello, fellow quantum physicists
I am currently writing a detailed physics script for my quantum physics project and I wanted to ask if you know some good internet sources on the theme of the casimir effect.
If you have something about vacuumfluctuations, vacuumpolarisation or Zero point energy I am happy to hear and read.

I've already got sources to all this stuff in german but it is a project with a partnering school in a english speaking country, so we need some english sources too
A school project on the Casimir effect? Jings!

Can you understand any of this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

Likes raracon
This is the best explanation of quantum field theory I've found:

Likes raracon
PeroK said:
A school project on the Casimir effect? Jings!

Can you understand any of this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect
heyhoo, yeah I can understand the most of it. Thing is that I already researched these things a lot (even got my hands on Casimirs original script). But I am still searching for stuff :D

PeroK said:
This is the best explanation of quantum field theory I've found:

Cheers, mate! I'll watch it asap

fresh_42 said:
If you google "Casimir effect pdf" you will probably find many lecture notes about the subject. Check whether some of them are helpful, and if you have questions, come back and ask.
That is actually a very good idea. Thanks

thanks

https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0503158
The Casimir Effect and the Quantum Vacuum by R. L. Jaffe
"In discussions of the cosmological constant, the Casimir effect is often invoked as decisive evidence that the zero point energies of quantum fields are "real''. On the contrary, Casimir effects can be formulated and Casimir forces can be computed without reference to zero point energies."

Likes Demystifier, Vanadium 50 and Keith_McClary
Demystifier said:
My paper on Casimir, at a rather elementary level:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1702.03291
Thank you so much! It's perfect for my introduction and it creates the base for a nice detailed explanation

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes atyy and Demystifier

1. What is the Casimir effect?

The Casimir effect is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two uncharged parallel plates placed in a vacuum experience an attractive force due to the fluctuations of the electromagnetic field.

2. How does the Casimir effect relate to quantum physics?

The Casimir effect is a result of the quantum mechanical properties of the electromagnetic field. It demonstrates the existence of virtual particles and the effects of zero-point energy in a vacuum.

3. What are some notable applications of the Casimir effect?

The Casimir effect has been observed in various experiments and has potential applications in nanotechnology, such as creating nanoscale devices and improving microelectromechanical systems (MEMS).

4. What are some reliable sources for information on the Casimir effect?

Some reliable sources for information on the Casimir effect include scientific journals such as Physical Review Letters and Nature, as well as books by reputable physicists such as Richard Feynman and Stephen Hawking.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding the Casimir effect?

While the Casimir effect is a well-established phenomenon in quantum physics, there have been some debates and controversies surrounding the interpretation of its results and the accuracy of certain calculations. However, these controversies do not discredit the overall validity of the Casimir effect.