1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics books for self study!

1. Apr 26, 2014 #1
    Hello. I am an MD but Physics excites me. Interested in Physics, I want to self study the subject from the beginning so that I can come to grips with the subject. I have a sound mathematical background and I know I can study myself but help regarding books would be appreciated. So please anyone? Would like to know the best books for undergraduate level for Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism, Quantum Mechanics,Statistical Mechanics,General Relativity, Particle Physics, and so on. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2014 #2
    Science Textbook discussion have the list of books for Undergraduate level Physics.

Anyway go with Kleppner Mechanics, Purcell Electromagnetism.

4. Apr 26, 2014 #3

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

Hi Syed.

We've got a textbook listing section on the forum:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

There's plenty of threads asking the same question as yours, and good discussions on the merits and prerequisites of many good textbooks(look through the sub-sections).

5. Apr 26, 2014 #4
    Books for self study!

@Bandersnatch
    Thank you. Much appreciated. :) I see Goldstein, Sakurai, and Griffiths there in particular.

6. Apr 26, 2014 #5
    Books for self study!

@Reyaz
    Thanks a lot. :) Yes, just checked the textbook listings. Thank you. So the one you mentioned is better than the likes of Goldstein or Taylor for Classical Mechanics?

7. Apr 26, 2014 #6

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

If the opinions of the forum members are to be believed, you can't do better than Kleppner and Purcell.

8. Apr 26, 2014 #7
    @Bandersnatch Klepner and Purcell it is then. Thanks a mighty. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted