What are the best books for self-studying undergraduate level Physics?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a person's interest in self studying physics and their search for the best books for undergraduate level topics such as Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism, and Quantum Mechanics. They were advised to check the textbook listings section on a forum called Physics Forums, where they were recommended Kleppner Mechanics and Purcell Electromagnetism. The forum members also suggested Goldstein, Sakurai, and Griffiths as good options for self study. Ultimately, it was decided that Kleppner and Purcell were the best choices for the person's needs.
Syed_Ali
Hello. I am an MD but Physics excites me. Interested in Physics, I want to self study the subject from the beginning so that I can come to grips with the subject. I have a sound mathematical background and I know I can study myself but help regarding books would be appreciated. So please anyone? Would like to know the best books for undergraduate level for Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism, Quantum Mechanics,Statistical Mechanics,General Relativity, Particle Physics, and so on. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Science Textbook discussion have the list of books for Undergraduate level Physics.

Anyway go with Kleppner Mechanics, Purcell Electromagnetism.

Hi Syed.

We've got a textbook listing section on the forum:
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

There's plenty of threads asking the same question as yours, and good discussions on the merits and prerequisites of many good textbooks(look through the sub-sections).

Books for self study!

@Bandersnatch
Thank you. Much appreciated. :) I see Goldstein, Sakurai, and Griffiths there in particular.

Books for self study!

@Reyaz
Thanks a lot. :) Yes, just checked the textbook listings. Thank you. So the one you mentioned is better than the likes of Goldstein or Taylor for Classical Mechanics?

If the opinions of the forum members are to be believed, you can't do better than Kleppner and Purcell.

@Bandersnatch Klepner and Purcell it is then. Thanks a mighty. :)

1. What are the best physics books for self-study?

The best physics books for self-study vary depending on your level of knowledge and your specific interests within physics. Some popular options include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, and "University Physics" by Young and Freedman.

2. Can I learn all of physics through self-study?

While self-study can be an effective way to learn physics, it may be challenging to cover all topics and concepts without guidance from a teacher or instructor. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and to supplement your self-study with practice problems and resources.

3. How should I approach studying from physics books on my own?

To effectively study physics books on your own, it is important to have a plan and set goals for yourself. Start by reviewing the table of contents and selecting specific chapters or topics to focus on. Take notes and work through practice problems to solidify your understanding.

4. Are there any physics books specifically designed for self-study?

Yes, there are several physics books that are designed specifically for self-study. Some examples include "The Manga Guide to Physics" by Hideo Nitta and Keita Takatsu, "Schaum's Outline of College Physics" by Frederick Bueche and Eugene Hecht, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach" by Randall Knight.

5. How can I make the most out of studying physics books on my own?

In addition to setting goals and actively engaging with the material, it can be helpful to supplement your self-study with other resources such as online lectures, videos, and study groups. It is also important to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.