Physics BS to Engineering Master's?

In summary, It is hard to make the transition from having a bachelor's degree in physics to getting a Master's in engineering, but if you are motivated and have a well-rounded education, it is possible. There are a few programs that accept students with bachelor's degrees in physics, but it is not easy to find. If you want to pursue a career in engineering, you will have to have an undergraduate degree in engineering first.
Geezer
I have my bachelor's degree in physics and am seriously considering getting my Master's in engineering...

How hard is it to make that transition? Do engineering schools regularly accept physics students? Are physics students successful in engineering master's programs?

I would love to pursue a job at a national lab (e.g. Los Alamos). Are such jobs impossible to come by? That is, is it as hard to get a job at Los Alamos as it is a prof job at a Research I school?

Physics news on Phys.org
To get a graduate degree in engineering requires the equivalent of an undergraduate degree in engineering first. If you don't have that, and someone accepts you, you will have to catch up.

As of now, LANL has 23 engineering positions advertised. (That's out of 10,000 employees.) The University of Wisconsin has 21 advertised positions for engineering professors.

Vanadium, I've found a few programs whose websites say they accept those students with bachelor's degrees in physics (like myself).

I don't mind playing "catch up," but I do mind not being as gainfully employed as I would like to be. At this stage in my life, I'm more motivated to have a comfortable income than I am to try and pursue a Nobel prize, you know?

I am in an electrical engineering M.S./Ph.D program right now and there are several physics bachelor graduates here. As far as I know they only had to take a couple of courses to catch up (signals/systems mostly). Granted, this program is very theory oriented.
We place many engineers at LANL/Sandia, so no issues there.

In fact, my advisor gave the Physics graduate tons of engineering design work, and myself (EE graduate) tons of theoretical and numerical work; so like anyone will tell you, it depends on the program, but a well rounded education will get you places.

They may accept you, but you will still have to "catch up". When you were taking physics courses, your peers were taking engineering courses.

how about that in austallia is it the same??

please with details

Geezer said:
Vanadium, I've found a few programs whose websites say they accept those students with bachelor's degrees in physics (like myself).

I don't mind playing "catch up," but I do mind not being as gainfully employed as I would like to be. At this stage in my life, I'm more motivated to have a comfortable income than I am to try and pursue a Nobel prize, you know?

Geezer,

I imagine you have found the LEAP program via Boston University. If not, give it a look. It is geared toward students with non-engineering degrees to earn a graduate engineering degree. I can't speak to the pros and cons of the program as I did not attend but it seems like a fine way to go about it.

1. Can I pursue a Master's in Engineering with a Bachelor's in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master's in Engineering with a Bachelor's in Physics. Many universities offer bridge programs or prerequisite courses for students with a background in physics to transition into engineering.

2. What are the key differences between a Physics BS and an Engineering Master's?

A Physics BS program focuses on the fundamental principles and theories of physics, while an Engineering Master's program is more application and project-based, with a focus on solving real-world engineering problems.

3. Will I need to take additional courses to bridge the gap between Physics and Engineering?

It depends on the specific program and your undergraduate coursework. Some universities may require you to take prerequisite courses in engineering, while others may offer a bridge program to help you transition smoothly.

4. Can I specialize in a specific area of engineering with a Physics background?

Yes, with a Physics background, you can still specialize in a specific area of engineering. However, you may need to take additional courses or participate in research projects related to your chosen field to gain the necessary knowledge and skills.

5. What are the career prospects for someone with a Physics BS and an Engineering Master's?

The combination of a Physics BS and an Engineering Master's can open up a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, energy, telecommunications, and more. You may also be qualified for research and development positions in both academic and industry settings.