1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics -- Change in Internal Energy Help

1. Apr 24, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Okay guys I have attached a picture of my work.

I guess my question really is, if they are telling me that Cp =7/2 am I allowed to assume that I am dealing with a diatomic gas? If so, that would change my equation to (5/2) instead of (3/2) correct? and therfore my answer would be right.

2. Relevant equations

dU=(3/2)nRdT

3. The attempt at a solution
    i have attached my work. My first part is right and second is wrong

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2017 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The internal energy of an ideal two-atomic gas is Cv n T and Cv=Cp-R.

4. Apr 25, 2017 #3
    Making the determination of whether the gas is diatomic or monoatomic is irrelevant to solving this problem. The first law tells us that:$$\Delta U=Q-W=Q+600$$
    For one mole of an ideal gas:$$\Delta U=C_v\Delta T$$and $$\Delta H=C_p\Delta T$$If the process is isobaric, then $$Q=\Delta H$$So, combining these equations, we have$$C_v\Delta T=C_p\Delta T+600$$So, $$(C_p-C_v)\Delta T=-600$$ But, $$C_p-C_v=R$$Therefore, $$R\Delta T=-600$$and $$\Delta U=C_v\Delta T=(C_p-R)\Delta T=\left(\frac{7}{2}-1\right)R\Delta T=-1500$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted