Physics Degree - Interested in Engineering

In summary, the person has ADHD, depression and anxiety related issues, but has worked hard to overcome them. They are interested in engineering, but may need to prove their worth before they can get the work they want. They are also interested in space exploration and think the BFR that SpaceX is working on will open up a lot of development in the aerospace industry.
Who Am I
I'm about to graduate with a degree in physics. I have ADHD, depression and anxiety related issues. I've worked very hard to overcome these issues, and I feel I have very recently actually hit my stride with getting things done consistently.

Likewise, my GPA is pretty bad, but I've curtailed the issues that lead to it being poor. I'm also doing work in a biophysics lab (and I'll probably get a decent letter of recommendation - to whatever my next step is). However, my real interest may be in engineering - particularly if I get to deal with multiple areas (i.e. systems engineering). I know one person in my lab who worked at Raytheon (who is now pursuing a Ph.D.), basically was the inbetween guy as a physics graduate. Because of my issues, I lacked the confidence to reach out to people and pursue this.

So, I'm in an odd spot. I want to move into engineering, but I may need to prove my worth before I can get the kind of work I actually want to do for my life. A postgraduate degree might be needed (and actually it's probably what I want to do, I went from anxiety-ridden procrastination to enjoying working 10-12 hour days, almost like it's eating a nice, meaty, satisfying steak).

I think also relevant is that I'm completely consumed by space exploration, and I think it's likely that the BFR that SpaceX is working on will open up a tremendous amount of development in the aerospace industry. Likewise, I don't need to absolutely right now get into it - but I do need to take the next step to moving towards this dream.

The ADHD is interesting - I've both managed to work more effectively like a normal person, but I also have an obsessiveness that when captured allows me to spend hours and hours and hours working on something, especially technically difficult problems. Of my strengths, it's a strong physical intuition (even as a "lazy" ADHD student, I was actually pretty fast at getting the physical basics of problems down). I'm also highly creative, but my attitude is towards rationality and refinement - which I think could be a very powerful combination if I can get myself into my area of interest.

Of my skills, I can code at a more basic level in MATLAB, Python and C. Programming was also one of the things that I was better at in comparison to my peers.

I'm almost ashamed that I never spent time as an undergraduate pursuing an engineering minor or more design oriented coursework - it's something that completely takes me over and I can't stop doing once I start designing something - even the most trivial of things. It made me very quick at our undergraduate lab setups. Everyone complained about aligning the mirrors in the speed of light experiment. I found this process quite natural. I'm also strong with geometric problems.

So, I don't know what it's going to take to get to where I need to be, but I could use some advice, especially from engineers and people who work in engineering who have physics degrees. I believe that in the right area, I could be very productive and could contribute a lot, but I need some advice on A. what I can do with my degree now and B. what sorts of jobs/internships/etc. I should be doing now with a mediocre resume that I'm willing to work hard to improve.

I'd also throw in what kind of people I should be networking with and advice on condensing this stuff down into a more compact package that communicates my desires and talents.

Likes K Murty and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Alexander Schill said:
I'm in a similar position with wanting to be an engineer (w/ a physics degree). Apparently some states do allow physics majors to take the Fundamental Engineering test. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-degree-taking-fundamental-engineering-test.766825/

It would be good if I could study and take it. I feel that having a physics education has enabled me to self-educate pretty rapidly.

The other thing I've thought of is getting a post-bachelor's. It would be not too difficult to take a full load somewhere, then go get a masters. So, no requirements for base classes like intro physics courses. It would just be engineering courses over two years.

Someone I knew in the physics dept. here was actually doing a post bachelor's in physics, I think she's going to grad school for physics now. It's a pretty decent surefire option that puts the reigns in your hands, though it's expensive.

Here in the UK we have what's called the milkround a period when companies tour universities looking for people about to graduate. Not sure if other countries do something similar. Perhaps see also www.milkround.com

In some countries but not all the term Engineer is a protected profession requiring either a particular degree and/or relevant experience and or membership of a governing body - so if you are in such a country you should investigate the requirements. In most countries it depends on the branch of engineering. Some are more open than others.

Who Am I said:
It would be good if I could study and take it. I feel that having a physics education has enabled me to self-educate pretty rapidly.

The other thing I've thought of is getting a post-bachelor's. It would be not too difficult to take a full load somewhere, then go get a masters. So, no requirements for base classes like intro physics courses. It would just be engineering courses over two years.

Someone I knew in the physics dept. here was actually doing a post bachelor's in physics, I think she's going to grad school for physics now. It's a pretty decent surefire option that puts the reigns in your hands, though it's expensive.

After looking into it, the requirements to take the FE change, depending on the state. If you're willing to travel to another state, maybe that's an option. From what I can tell, some additional engineering courses will be required, at minimum...but if you can convince an engineering firm to take you on as an intern or something, CA allows you to take it with 3 years experience.

Likes martinh
The OP needs to be aware of the fact that the FE only gets you to the point of being an Engineer in Training (EIT). To become a professional engineer you will need the PE exam, and I think most states will require an ABET undergraduate degree to sit for that.

Dr.D said:
The OP needs to be aware of the fact that the FE only gets you to the point of being an Engineer in Training (EIT). To become a professional engineer you will need the PE exam, and I think most states will require an ABET undergraduate degree to sit for that.

Well, I do know someone personally who worked with engineers who maybe wasn't specifically an engineer who worked at Raytheon and was a physics major, now doing his Ph.D. in physics in my lab.

Post bacherlor's is also a thing. Calculus and intro physics is most of early engineering anyways, which I have already done and then some.

Who Am I said:
Well, I do know someone personally who worked with engineers who maybe wasn't specifically an engineer who worked at Raytheon and was a physics major, now doing his Ph.D. in physics in my lab.
Yes, I too know, and I have worked with, many who never became Professional Engineers (PE) and many more who never took the EIT. The issue of the EIT was raised in post #2, and the only reason for taking that (as far as I can see) is if you eventually want to become a PE.

Who Am I said:
Post bacherlor's is also a thing.
Whatever in the world does this statement mean? I have no idea what it means to "be a thing." What sort of "thing" is "post bachelor's"? Is this a status, a degree, or something else entirely?

Who Am I said:
Calculus and intro physics is most of early engineering anyways, which I have already done and then some.
Ah, if life and the world were really this simple! What do you think the rest of an engineering education is all about then?

Dr.D said:
Yes, I too know, and I have worked with, many who never became Professional Engineers (PE) and many more who never took the EIT. The issue of the EIT was raised in post #2, and the only reason for taking that (as far as I can see) is if you eventually want to become a PE.Whatever in the world does this statement mean? I have no idea what it means to "be a thing." What sort of "thing" is "post bachelor's"? Is this a status, a degree, or something else entirely?Ah, if life and the world were really this simple! What do you think the rest of an engineering education is all about then?

Post bachelor's are basically like secondary undergrad degrees: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postbaccalaureate_program. Someone in my school was actually getting one of these and graduated and is doing radio astronomy now. Since I've taken many physics classes, I've got the prereqs for engineering classes covered, which is what I was saying, not "this will be easy," though it would probably be easier for me since I'm more interested in solving problems of design than solving abstract problems.

Who Am I said:
Post bacherlor's is also a thing.

I'm still inclined to think that the statement, as given, is pure nonsense. I suppose you could say that anything is a thing, but what information does this communicate?

As far as having prerequisites covered, maybe so, but also maybe not. Typical engineering programs are many layers deep. You could very well have in hand the prerequisites for the first layer, but there are still quite a few layers to work through.

Dr.D said:
I'm still inclined to think that the statement, as given, is pure nonsense. I suppose you could say that anything is a thing, but what information does this communicate?

As far as having prerequisites covered, maybe so, but also maybe not. Typical engineering programs are many layers deep. You could very well have in hand the prerequisites for the first layer, but there are still quite a few layers to work through.
By "is a thing" people usually mean that it's a practical option.

In this case I'm not so sure. My impression is the post-baccauleate degree varies widely by field and by school. I know people who have done it, and gotten jobs, in nursing and accounting, but I've never heard of anyone doing it in engineering. It seems to be more common to take prereq classes and then apply for the masters degree in engineering.

I think this is something you'd have to research carefully. Find out for sure that this degree exists for the specific type of engineering you want to do, and at a school you'd want to attend. Then make sure it's actually enough to get a job you'd want, and that you wouldn't be forced to go back for another degree later (either to meet the PE requirement, or just to get hired in the first place).

Likes Who Am I
@pi-r8 Thanks for the explanation of
pi-r8 said:
By "is a thing" people usually mean that it's a practical option.
I would have never guessed in a million years.

You could consider an MS In EE (if you can find a school that will let you in given your GPA). We had a few physics majors in our EE grad school cohort and they did fine (after taking a few remedial EE courses).

Also, usually a physicist fits in as a software engineer or EE and they typically don't get a PE license. You are exempt from a PE license if you work in a manufacturing industry or for the government (although many gov engineers get one anyway). I took the EIT many moons ago but haven't gotten a PE because it just wouldn't do anything for my career. My father (now retired) was a Civil Engineer and a PE was critical for his career.

Analogdesign is correct about what is called "the industrial exemption" where engineers in manufacturing industries and government are not required to be registered. The rub comes if you ever want to set up shop as a consultant. Most states require a PE license if you want to legally call yourself an engineer in service to the public. This is why most Civil Engrs and many others go for the PE ticket. Situations where public safety is a likely issue are the main concern.

I don't see myself becoming a consultant. This has more to do with channeling my drive to design things - and systems. I've started also considering systems engineering because one of the things I actually love doing the most is finding distantly related ideas and connecting them in a meaningful, useful way.

Systems engineering, especially industrial appears to be all about having a sense of the big picture from the physics of your product to the manufacturing to the marketing of it.

I see that as something I'd very much enjoy. Or, even on a smaller scale, be the guy who puts the coders, engineers and physicists together and communicates between them. I did that when working on a computational project: I found one guy who was super good at coding and another who was better at hard core math and had more experience in Latex. I was the one who actually had the main idea for the project, and I did a large share of the work on my own as well, but putting that set of people together to produce something that's better than what anyone of us could do (or any three clones of us) was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in school.

Who Am I said:
I don't see myself becoming a consultant. This has more to do with channeling my drive to design things

Be aware that much design work is done by consulting engineers. My daughter is a structural engineer, and she designs buildings all day every day. She is also a registered PE. It all depends upon the context in which your work will be done and the impact on public safety.

1. What is a Physics degree?

A Physics degree is an undergraduate or graduate degree that focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It covers a wide range of topics including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

2. Can I become an engineer with a Physics degree?

Yes, a Physics degree can provide a strong foundation for a career in engineering. Many engineering fields, such as mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering, require a strong understanding of physics principles.

3. What are the benefits of having a Physics degree as an engineer?

A Physics degree can provide you with a strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are essential in the field of engineering. It also allows you to have a deep understanding of the fundamental principles that govern the world around us, which can be applied to solve complex engineering problems.

4. Are there any specific engineering fields that require a Physics degree?

While a Physics degree can be beneficial in many engineering fields, there are some that specifically require a background in Physics. These include fields such as nuclear engineering, materials science, and photonics engineering.

5. What types of jobs can I get with a Physics degree in engineering?

With a Physics degree, you can pursue a variety of engineering careers such as aerospace engineer, mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, or even a research scientist. You can also explore opportunities in fields such as renewable energy, nanotechnology, and robotics, among others.