Physics degree, taking Fundamental Engineering test

In summary: I wish i could have taken the non computer based exam. I do better with pencil and paper on a desk. But oh well ;P. Such is life i suppose.Just wanted to let the forum know that through some diligence I have been approved to take the Fundamental Engineering test in South Carolina with a B.S. in Physics. I took about a extra year worth of advanced engineering classes along with skipped all freshman and sophomore engineering classes because of my physics background. Congrats.
SSJ2
Just wanted to let the forum know that through some diligence I have been approved to take the Fundamental Engineering test in South Carolina with a B.S. in Physics.

I took about a extra year worth of advanced engineering classes along with skipped all freshman and sophomore engineering classes because of my physics background.

Physics news on Phys.org
SSJ2 said:
Just wanted to let the forum know that through some diligence I have been approved to take the Fundamental Engineering test in South Carolina with a B.S. in Physics.

I took about a extra year worth of advanced engineering classes along with skipped all freshman and sophomore engineering classes because of my physics background.

Congrats. Did you have a question? :smile:

No, not really. Just wanted to let all the physics majors out there know that its possible to become a licensed engineer without a engineering degree depending on state. :) Just took some diligence ;P.

Anyways off to start reviewing :).

But its the PE that gets you licensed. I assume you will be able to take that after working on a project like an engineering grad?

Thats correct. The PE is the second part of the exam that requires 7 years of experience after you pass the FE or the first part. I got approved to take the first part and got my foot in the door. Did so by having my education evaluated(for a fee) as it is not ABET accredited. You can have yours evaluated by your State Board or the National Board(NCEES)

In my case I think I need an internship to get my foot in the door so I am studying engineering as an engineering major and applying for internships. 7 years? I thought it was 3, but maybe that is my state. Hope it goes well!

Is it three? I could be wrong. Have to go back and check.

If you pass the test, you get what is called the Engineer In Training (EIT) certificate. From an HR perspective, it is almost the same as if you had graduated with a formal degree in engineering.

With an EIT certificate, and several years experience doing something related to engineering, and signoff from one or possibly more PE certificate holders, you can then sit for the Principles and Practices exam. If you pass that, you are then allowed to register with the state as a professional engineer. In most states the principles and practices exam does NOT have to have any relationship to what you studied for your Bachelor's degree, though the prerequisite experience to sit for the exam may be different.

In Maryland, the principles and practices exam is an eight hour long, open book ordeal. It is given only once or perhaps twice a year, depending upon how many applicants the test might have.

I'm deliberately not being specific here because the number of years and the required sign-offs are different from state to state. Canada has different rules with similar goals, but I know very little about the particulars.

Likes CalcNerd
yea, I wish i could have taken the non computer based exam. I do better with pencil and paper on a desk. But oh well ;P. Such is life i suppose.

SSJ2 said:
Congrats. I'm from SC as well. Be sure to post back here with the results and good look!

SSJ2 said:
Thats correct. The PE is the second part of the exam that requires 7 years of experience after you pass the FE or the first part. I got approved to take the first part and got my foot in the door. Did so by having my education evaluated(for a fee) as it is not ABET accredited. You can have yours evaluated by your State Board or the National Board(NCEES)
It's only 4 years in SC unless that's some stipulation because you were a physics major

Last edited:

1. What is a Physics degree?

A Physics degree is an undergraduate or graduate degree that focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It covers a wide range of topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

2. What is the Fundamental Engineering (FE) test?

The Fundamental Engineering (FE) test is an exam administered by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) to test the fundamental knowledge and skills of engineering students or graduates. It is the first step towards becoming a licensed Professional Engineer (PE).

3. Do I need to take the FE test if I have a Physics degree?

It depends on the career path you want to pursue. If you want to become a licensed Professional Engineer, then you will need to take the FE test. However, if you are interested in research or other non-engineering roles, then the FE test may not be necessary.

4. What topics are covered in the FE test for Physics majors?

The FE test for Physics majors covers topics such as mathematics, mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and computational tools. It also includes general engineering topics such as ethics, economics, and project management.

5. How can I prepare for the FE test with a Physics degree?

You can prepare for the FE test by reviewing fundamental engineering concepts, practicing problem-solving skills, and familiarizing yourself with the exam format. There are also review courses and practice exams available to help you prepare. It is important to study and review consistently to ensure success on the FE test.