1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Physics Development

  1. Jun 5, 2009 #1
    Ok, i want a job that works with particle physics, and somthing to do with the development for Viable Cold or Normal Fusion power Generator and all that where and what can i work as/for
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2009 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    That's going to be either academic research, or at government / international labs like ITER or the National Ignition Facility (I believe their industry contractors will only be working in support / technical roles, and not necessarily direct fusion research):

    You haven't mentioned your qualifications, so I'll assume that you're just looking into what you'd need. To do actual research in the field, you probably need to have a Ph.D. in fusion physics / nuclear engineering (or a Ph.D. in a closely related field). However, if you want to work in an engineering, or programming, or other support role, the Ph.D. in fusion physics / nuclear engineering is probably not necessary (or desired).

    Hopefully, some real fusion scientists weigh in on this (I base this only on my nearly-entirely anecdotal and second-hand hearsay about the operation of such facilities).
  4. Jun 9, 2009 #3

    Vanadium 50

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

    Particle physicists don't work on hot fusion.

    Cold fusion is crackpottery.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook