Physics Faraday's Law and Induced Electric Fields

In summary, a wire loop is placed inside a solenoid with a current and number of turns. The length of the solenoid increases at a constant rate, and the question asks for the initial induced potential difference in the wire loop. Using the formula for magnetic field for a solenoid and the chain rule, the answer is found to be 4.15 * 10^-4V.
tnbstudent

Homework Statement

A wire loop with area 8.00 cm2 is placed inside a 20.0 cm long solenoid with 5.00×10^4 turns that carries a current of 1.10 A. The loop is concentric with the solenoid. If the length of the solenoid is stretched so that its length increases at a rate of 8.000e-2 m/s, with the number of turns remaining constant, what is the initial induced potential difference in the wire loop?

Homework Equations

Magnetic Field for Solenoid B = μ*I*n (n is number of loops per unit length)
E= ΦB/dt
Area circle = ∏r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the area of the circle is 0.0008m^2 and that is not changing
The angle is 90°
For E= ΦB/dt there are three things that can change to cause the change in B.
1- change in area so you have (dA)/dt * B* cosθ
2 - change in flux so you have A*(dB/dt)*cosθ
3 - change in the angle A*B*-sinθ

Since the question is asking about the flux through the wire loop and the change is occurring in the length of the solenoid - I do not think Area (A) is changing. I also don't think that the angle is changing. Since, the length of the solenoid is changing I think that magnetic field is what is changing as a function of time.
The formula for magnetic field is B = μ*I*n (n is number of loops per unit length). This is where I start getting messed up (at least I think this is where my troubles start)...
dB/dt=(4*∏X10^-7)*(1.1A)*[(5.0*10^4turns)/(.20m*8.0*10^-2m/s)

Another thought I had was to find B initial - which I found to be (0.346T) and then multiple it by 1/8.0*10^-2m/s so get dB/dt.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi tnbstudent! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 buttons just above the Reply box :wink:)

your difficulty is in finding dB/dt, when the question only gives you dL/dt (L is the length)

so write B as a function of L, and use the chain rule dB/dt = dB/dL dL/dt :wink:

(btw, are you ok now on your other solenoid question?)

Thanks
This definitely gets the dL/dt in the equation which I was missing.
When I write B in terms of L I get:
B=μ*I*t/l (where t is the number of turns)
dB/dL = μ*I*t*(-1/l^2)
Is the length in this the original (.20m) or (.20m*8.0m/s *10^-2)

Our book gives answers for most questions but changes one variable. This one uses dL/dt as 3.0m/s and the answer is 4.15 *10^-4V.
When I use the information you gave me above (thanks for that - I would not have remembered to use the change rule) and I use l as .20meters I get an answer that is off by one decimal point.

Any suggestions for something I should take another look at?

(yes, i was able to get my other solenoid question - it was very easy... simply plug in the numbers but I used the wrong angle)

tnbstudent said:
Any suggestions for something I should take another look at?

i don't think so :confused:

(btw, it's the chain rule, and it's called that because eg dx/dt = dx/dy dy/dz dz/dw dw/dt, in a chain! :wink:)

Thanks for your help. I think the book is just off by one decimal place. I did the equation using the chain rule and I got 1.11e-4 which was wrong... so I tested e-3 and it was correct.
Either way - I'm glad I understand how to do it.

Thanks again

1. What is Faraday's Law in physics?

Faraday's Law of Induction states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric field, which in turn generates a current. This law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism and helps explain the relationship between electricity and magnetism.

2. How does Faraday's Law relate to electromagnetic induction?

Faraday's Law is the basis for electromagnetic induction, which is the process of creating an electric current in a conductor by varying the magnetic field around it. This phenomenon is used in many important technologies, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors.

3. Can Faraday's Law be used to generate electricity?

Yes, Faraday's Law can be used to generate electricity. By rotating a coil of wire in a magnetic field, the changing magnetic flux will induce an electric current in the coil. This is the principle behind power plants and generators, which use this process to produce electricity on a large scale.

4. What is Lenz's Law and how does it relate to Faraday's Law?

Lenz's Law is a corollary to Faraday's Law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in the magnetic field that produced it. This means that if the magnetic field is increasing, the induced current will flow in a direction to create a magnetic field that opposes the increase, and vice versa. This law helps to explain the direction of the induced current in a given situation.

5. What are some real-life applications of Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law has a wide range of real-life applications. It is used in power plants and generators to produce electricity, in transformers to change the voltage of electric currents, and in electric motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. It is also used in many everyday devices, such as speakers, microphones, and electric generators, and is the basis for electromagnetic technologies like wireless charging and induction cooktops.