Pre-Med Physics: Calc vs Non-Calc

• Thread starter Cyberchicken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: It sounds like if you're good at math and are comfortable with calculus, then the calc-based course might be a good choice for you. However, if you're not confident with math or are not comfortable with calculus, then you might want to take the non-calc course with a better teacher.
Cyberchicken
I'm a pre-med student currently registering for classes for the next semester and physics is next up for me on the requirements. I want some insight as to whether it's a good idea to take the non-calc, pre-med physics with a teacher they say is "eh", or to take the calc based, physics major course with a teacher who is supposedly great.

I will have finished calc II by the end of this semester and I like math, so the calc part is not a problem. I just want to know if it's worth it to learn the extra material which is unnecessary for the MCAT in order to have a better teacher.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the calc-based if you're good with the math. I think it's easier to understand the material when the teacher can use the words "derivative" and "integral" instead of waving their hands and pulling formulae out of their rectal cavities.

It's worth it. If you know calculus, then go for the better teacher.

One's first physics teacher can make a huge impression on what they learn and how they view the subject, at least in my opinion.

I'll concur with the above two recommendations. If you have the grasp of calculus and think you can perform as well (or better because of the better professor) in the calc-based course, take the calc-based course. It will hopefully make your understanding better (which may in turn make problems easier on the MCAT... since that test apparently doesn't give you a formula sheet). In addition, it might make you stand out a bit among other med-school applicants.

Do, however, make sure that your "pre-med major" accepts the course. I make the above recommendation based on my sister's experience, before such majors existed. She majored in chemistry and biology, took the calculus-based physics sequence, and successfully applied for and completed an MD/PhD (which is a great financial route if you have the interest and ability).

physics girl phd said:
Do, however, make sure that your "pre-med major" accepts the course.

Great suggestion. When I took general physics 1 at the community college, the calc-based version was a non-lab class, and the non-calc one was a lab, so one particular certificate program required the non-calc class with the lab.

1. What is the difference between pre-med physics with calculus and without calculus?

Pre-med physics with calculus includes mathematical concepts such as derivatives and integrals, while pre-med physics without calculus focuses more on conceptual understanding and problem-solving without the use of advanced math.

2. Which option is more beneficial for someone pursuing a career in medicine?

This depends on the individual's strengths and career goals. Pre-med physics with calculus may be advantageous for students interested in more math-heavy fields of medicine, such as medical physics or biomedical engineering. Pre-med physics without calculus may be more suitable for those pursuing non-mathematical specialties.

3. Does taking pre-med physics without calculus put me at a disadvantage?

No, both options cover the necessary physics content for medical school. However, some medical schools may prefer or require applicants to have taken pre-med physics with calculus. It is important to research the requirements of the schools you are interested in.

4. How does the difficulty level compare between pre-med physics with calculus and without calculus?

Pre-med physics with calculus may be more challenging for those who struggle with math, while pre-med physics without calculus may be more challenging for those who struggle with conceptual understanding. Ultimately, the difficulty level will depend on the individual's strengths and study habits.

5. Can I switch from pre-med physics with calculus to without calculus (or vice versa) during my studies?

This depends on your school's policies and the structure of the courses. Some schools may allow students to switch between the two options, while others may not. It is important to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes to your course schedule.