Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics graduates: any vocational ed or engineering courses?

1. Vocational training before physics undergraduate education

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Vocational training during physics undergraduate education

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Engineering courses before physics undergrad education

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Engineering courses during physics undergrad education

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. None of those were needed and none were important in physics undergrad education

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sep 14, 2018 #1

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

This poll (attempt) is for physics graduates. Was any vocational education or engineering course work extremely important or helpful in earning your undergraduate degree in physics, either before or during your Physics education?
    (this line edited)

I am hoping the view votes publicly only shows counts, and not usernames. Otherwise, tell me if I can adjust this.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2018 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Uncheck "Display votes publicly" in the options. I did this now.

4. Sep 15, 2018 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I see.

5. Sep 15, 2018 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I added a default "none" choice, since so far nobody has participated, and maybe the first choices were a poor dilemma for many people.

6. Sep 16, 2018 #5

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

It's worth keeping in mind that in many countries, students outside of the engineering faculties are not able to take engineering coursework.

For example, at the University of Toronto (my alma mater) in Canada, engineering coursework is strictly restricted to students in the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering, with a few exceptions (the Material Sciences undergraduate program within the Faculty of Arts and Sciences being one of them). Physics students (since they are registered as part of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences) therefore are unable to take any engineering courses during their undergraduate program. They are, however, able to take any other humanities, science, or social science courses offered within their faculty subject to any limited enrollment restrictions placed on them.

Different universities in Canada have different requirements on this, however.

7. Sep 16, 2018 #6
    im not sure what you mean by "important." do you mean, important to me, or required by the program, or something else?

8. Sep 16, 2018 #7

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Important should mean that the course from either engineering or from vocational, was useful for you or helped you in earning your Physics undergraduate degree. I do not mean, "required by the program" as in the formal administrative sense. Important should mean that having done the vocational or engineering course/courses was better for YOU in earning the Physics degree than if you did not do these voc or engineerg courses.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted