Physics internship/gudiance for engineering Sophomore

In summary, the speaker is an Indian engineering student with a strong interest in theoretical physics. They are looking for intern opportunities and ways to deepen their understanding of general relativity. They also ask for advice on how to prepare for a master's program in physics.
santo35
hi people !
well am one of those lame indian student who took engineering undergrad course with immense interest in theoretical physics. but that was due to parental pressure. okay leaving these behind, i want to peruse my career either in teaching physics or as a researcher. doing my undergrad course, i am also covering all the major parts in phy that one would skill when in undergrad phy school side by side. i am now currently studying General relativity and would like to go on further in it. i am now equipped with basic tools required for higher physics like calculus vectors DE and stuffs and reading tensor and matrices now.

i would like to know the various intern opportunities that would be available for me both inside and outside India in physics lane that would help me gain more knowledge. and what would be the procedure to apply for it. and since am not doing a phy course , for the reference letters will it be sufficient to provide it from my own non-phy prof ?

Apart from it i would love to learn GR from any prof inside India in a much more deep sense. would it possible for me to study under some prof/university inside or outside India as an intern or student. if so please guide me as to how to do it as i badly want to understand the beauty of GR.

and also people generally say that a good project is a requisite while applying for foreign universities. what kind of requisite does one need in perusing theoretical physics in his masters course or rather what should i do/prepare now (while doing engineering) to get a masters course in physics in an university.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

First of all, I want to commend you for pursuing your interest in theoretical physics despite the pressure from your parents to study engineering. It takes a lot of courage and determination to follow your passion and I am sure it will pay off in the long run.

In terms of intern opportunities, there are many options available for you both inside and outside India. You can start by checking the websites of universities or research institutions that you are interested in and see if they have any intern programs available. You can also reach out to professors or researchers in your field of interest and inquire about any potential internships they may have. Another option is to participate in online internships or research projects, which have become more prevalent due to the current pandemic situation.

When it comes to reference letters, it would be best to provide them from professors or researchers in the field of physics. However, if you do not have any physics professors, you can also provide reference letters from your non-physics professors who can speak to your academic abilities and potential.

As for studying GR in depth, you can definitely reach out to professors or universities in India or abroad to see if they offer any internships or research opportunities in this field. You can also look into attending conferences or workshops related to GR to further enhance your knowledge and network with professionals in the field.

In terms of preparing for a master's course in physics, it would be beneficial to take as many physics courses as possible during your engineering degree. Additionally, you can also participate in research projects or attend summer schools related to theoretical physics to gain more experience and strengthen your application. Good grades and a strong academic background will also be important factors in securing a spot in a master's program.

I hope this information helps and I wish you all the best in your pursuit of theoretical physics. Keep following your passion and never give up on your dreams. Best of luck!

What is a physics internship?

A physics internship is an opportunity for engineering sophomores to gain hands-on experience in the field of physics. It typically involves working with a team of physicists on a specific project or research topic, and can take place in a variety of settings such as a laboratory, government agency, or private company.

Why should I consider doing a physics internship as an engineering sophomore?

Participating in a physics internship can provide valuable experience and skills that will be beneficial for your future career as an engineer. It can also help you explore different areas of physics and determine if it is a field you want to pursue further.

How do I find a physics internship as an engineering sophomore?

There are several ways to find a physics internship. You can check with your university's career center, search online job databases, network with professionals in the field, or reach out to companies or organizations directly. It can also be helpful to speak with your professors or academic advisors for recommendations and guidance.

What can I expect to learn during a physics internship?

During a physics internship, you can expect to learn practical skills such as data analysis, experimental techniques, and using specialized equipment. You may also have the opportunity to work on real-world projects and collaborate with experienced physicists, which can provide valuable insight and knowledge about the field.

Are there any specific requirements or qualifications for a physics internship as an engineering sophomore?

The requirements and qualifications for a physics internship may vary depending on the specific opportunity. Some internships may require a certain level of coursework or GPA, while others may prioritize relevant skills and experience. It is important to carefully read the internship description and make sure you meet the necessary qualifications before applying.