Why Are Some Phenomena Unsolved in Physics?

• Thread starter jobsism
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, physics is amazing! Every phenomenon that we know of can be explained in terms of physics. There is no phenomenon, anything at all that can't be approached by the laws of physics.
jobsism
Physics is Amazing!

I have been thinking a lot, and finally came to the conclusion that every phenomenon that i know of can be explained in terms of physics, and hence the title for the post! :D But, is there any phenomenon, anything at all that can't even be approached by the laws of physics? I am not talking about unsolved theorems, but phenomena like turbulence (although turbulence to some extent is explainable).

Physics news on Phys.org
:bugeye: hypnotism? :bugeye:

Science aims to explain everything.

Don't confuse what we can't explain now with what we will never explain (due to its nature).

Turbulence eludes us at the moment, but there's no reason we can't solve it eventually. God on the other hand is something science won't touch with a barge pole.

Only time will tell that phenomenon which can't be approached with laws of physics.As for me,it is only that which God has allowed mankind to know that we should bother about.

oraclelive said:
Only time will tell that phenomenon which can't be approached with laws of physics.

There is no reason that any subject cannot be approached by science.

It is only when we, as humans, try to give supernatural / paranormal explanations that physics falls flat because it simply "can't" or more appropriately "doesn't want to got there".

Science has given us some interesting answers as to what it can and cannot do... Suppose you want to ask the question when a specific radioactive atom in your hand will decay. The best science can do is say "Well, it probably won't decay until this time and will almost certainly have decayed by this time." That's something fundamental.

Turbulence is a good example of something similar. No matter how well we can measure the initial conditions, our predictions will eventually be wrong because of the nonlinearities inherent in the system. That's a simple fact about nature.

Any physical phenomenon is by assumption observable, and science can seek to understand any observable phenomenon. How far we are able to take this inquiry is then limited by some fundamental aspects of nature (probabilistic interpretation of QM and chaos, for my two above examples). The only things we cannot hope to study are those which are unobservable, things like the soul, morality, or alternate universes (I use the word universe in the truest sense of the term -- anything we can or can ever interact with. Not to be confused with any notion of an alternate universe which may be somehow accessible).

FAQ: Why Are Some Phenomena Unsolved in Physics?

1. What are some unsolved phenomena in physics?

Some of the most well-known unsolved phenomena in physics include dark matter, dark energy, the origins of the universe, the nature of gravity, and the behavior of quantum particles.

2. Why is it important to study unsolved phenomena in physics?

Studying unsolved phenomena in physics allows scientists to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and potentially unlock new technologies and advancements. It also challenges and drives scientific progress.

3. How do scientists approach solving unsolved phenomena in physics?

Scientists use a variety of methods, including theoretical models, mathematical equations, experiments, and observations, to try and explain unsolved phenomena in physics. Collaboration and cross-disciplinary research are also key in this process.

4. Are there any recent breakthroughs in understanding unsolved phenomena in physics?

There have been numerous breakthroughs in recent years, such as the discovery of the Higgs boson particle, which helped to explain the origin of mass in the universe. Other recent breakthroughs include advancements in understanding dark matter and the development of new technologies to study quantum particles.

5. Will all unsolved phenomena in physics eventually be solved?

It is impossible to say for certain, but many scientists believe that with continued research and advancements in technology, most, if not all, unsolved phenomena in physics will eventually be solved. However, new questions and mysteries may continue to emerge as our understanding of the universe grows.

Back