1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics major taking a 1 year break between undergraduate and graduate school?

1. Oct 5, 2014 #1
    I am a physics major currently scheduled to graduate next May. However, I want to take a 1 year break before going on to graduate school. What are some worthwhile things that I can do during that 1 year break? I definitely want to do something/ or join a program that is travelling-related without having to pay the expenses. I am looking for helpful suggestions. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2014 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A lot depends on why you're taking that break and what you deep as "worthwhile."

If you just need a break, take some time and look into some work-travel programs that are aimed at younger people. Make sure to crack the books open once in a while though, as your brain can atrophy. You could also consider something like military service, although that generally comes with a commitment of more than a year if you plan to do it full time, and it's not for everyone.

If you're looking to boost your graduate school application, then it's probably best to take a few extra courses or try to get some research experience as a lab assistant.

4. Oct 6, 2014 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Choppy is right. If you're willing to go for two years, there's the Peace Corps.

5. Oct 6, 2014 #4

OldEngr63

Gold Member

Think very hard about this. Time away from school at that point can be very difficult to overcome. I took a year away (to work) after an MS, and I decided rather quickly that if I did not go back quickly, I would never finish a PhD. We are all susceptible to developing other interest and commitments (a spouse, a house, a boat, etc.), so .... think very hard about it.

6. Oct 13, 2014 #5
    Just to add my own thought here... I recently started grad school. I hadn't seen math in almost 3 years (because I tested out of classes and took some early) and now math is by far my hardest class. By putting a year between you and grad school, you are going to make every class that much harder.

7. Oct 13, 2014 #6

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I started my PhD right after undergrad (well, I took a break of about 2 months), but some of my peers took a year off, or more. Honestly, I don't think it makes any difference.

8. Oct 14, 2014 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I don't think a year will make much of a difference if you actually learned the material the first time around. It may not be right at your fingertips, but it comes back quickly.

I agree with OldEngr63. That year off can easily grow into several years or never.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook