Can I Get a Physics Masters Degree with Undergrad Biology Background?

In summary: It seems like you are questioning the necessity of a BS in physics for obtaining a masters degree, especially if you don't need a TA position. You also ask why someone would want to bother pursuing a masters degree in physics.
BNeville Triplett
I am a 40-something high school science teacher with a degree in biology. I am very interested in obtaining a masters degree in physics. My undergraduate courses in physics and math are limited. Is it feasible for me to obtain a masters degree in physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
BNeville Triplett said:
Is it feasible for me to obtain a masters degree in physics?

Sure but you'll need a bachelor first.

Welcome to PF;
Obtain the prospectus for the college you are interested in and read their requirements.
You may be able to cross-credit from your biology degree but you will need to satisfy the bachelor requirements for physics. There is not usually a lot of overlap between bio and phys,
The specifics will depend on the school and what you have done so far.

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
Obtain the prospectus for the college you are interested in and read their requirements.
You may be able to cross-credit from your biology degree but you will need to satisfy the bachelor requirements for physics. There is not usually a lot of overlap between bio and phys,
The specifics will depend on the school and what you have done so far.
Ok thanks for the feedback. I will look into what I need to get an undergraduate degree and go from there.

Classical Mechanics, EM, Quantum Mechanics + Math.

The "need a BS in physics" is nonsense, particularly at lower tier universities if you don't need a TA position.

But a better question is, why bother?

Crek said:

The "need a BS in physics" is nonsense, particularly at lower tier universities if you don't need a TA position.

This comment is unreadable. Just what're you trying to say?

Crek said:

I'm not sure I follow what you are trying to say.

1. Can I pursue a Physics Masters degree with an undergraduate background in Biology?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Physics Masters degree with an undergraduate background in Biology. Many universities offer interdisciplinary programs that allow students to combine their knowledge of biology with physics. It may require taking additional courses in physics to fulfill the prerequisites for the program.

2. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to students with an undergraduate degree in Physics?

It depends on the specific program and the courses you have taken during your undergraduate studies. While students with an undergraduate degree in Physics may have a stronger foundation in the subject, your background in biology may give you a unique perspective and set of skills that can be beneficial in certain areas of physics.

3. Are there any specific courses I should take during my undergraduate studies to prepare for a Physics Masters degree?

It is recommended to take courses in calculus, linear algebra, and introductory physics during your undergraduate studies. You may also benefit from taking courses in mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics to gain a better understanding of core physics concepts.

4. Will I have to take extra courses or complete a bridge program before starting a Physics Masters degree?

It depends on the specific program and your undergraduate coursework. Some universities may require you to take additional courses to fulfill the prerequisites for the program, while others may offer bridge programs to help students with a non-physics background transition into a physics program.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone with a Physics Masters degree and an undergraduate background in Biology?

Having a background in both physics and biology can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as biophysics, biomedical engineering, medical physics, and biotechnology. You can also pursue a career in research, teaching, or continue your education with a PhD in a related field.