1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics masters vs PhD (as far as completely new information)

1. Mar 6, 2013 #1
    It seems to me, and correct me if I am wrong, that someone with a masters in physics has just as much concrete knowledge of physics as someone who has a PhD (generally). After you get a masters you have pretty much taken all the courses one could take right? The next step is to APPLY the knowledge you learned to original research, a PhD. Other than the experience gained doing a PhD, am I generally right?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2013 #2
    In my experience a person with a PhD generally has considerably more knowledge than one with a masters.

4. Mar 7, 2013 #3
    No, what you mean is someone is done with all the coursework. That doesn't mean they have as much knowledge. Just the same coursework.

5. Mar 7, 2013 #4
    For this too be true you have to assume you do not learn new physics while doing research.

From experience all the physics you retain best is the physics you learn and apply while doing research.

6. Mar 9, 2013 #5
    Agreed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook