Physics MSc to Industrial Engineer

In summary, the individual has a BSc and MSc degree in physics and wants to change careers to become an industrial engineer, specifically in Operations Research. They are considering getting a second undergraduate degree and then a PhD in IE, but are unsure if it is a good decision. They have a good understanding of mathematics but no experience with computer simulations and numerical calculations. It is advised that getting a second undergraduate degree may not be necessary for a career in industrial engineering, as many companies value experience and general analytical skills. It is suggested to gain experience or pursue a graduate degree in OR or IE, and to also consider obtaining a CPIM certification or an MBA after gaining work experience.
tt
Hi, I have BSc and MSc degree in physics (writing my thesis currently), and I have decided to change career and become an Industrial Engineer instead. Specifically I am fascinated by Operations Research.
I am thinking to get an undergraduate degree and then PhD in IE. Does anyone have a suggestion?

My MSc thesis is about Classical General Relativity. I think I have an overall good Mathematics knowledge, but I don't have any experience with computer simulations and numerical calculations.

Is getting a second undergraduate degree stupid?

Physics news on Phys.org
tt said:
Hi, I have BSc and MSc degree in physics (writing my thesis currently), and I have decided to change career and become an Industrial Engineer instead. Specifically I am fascinated by Operations Research.
I am thinking to get an undergraduate degree and then PhD in IE. Does anyone have a suggestion?

My MSc thesis is about Classical General Relativity. I think I have an overall good Mathematics knowledge, but I don't have any experience with computer simulations and numerical calculations.

Is getting a second undergraduate degree stupid?

In this case, I would say almost without reservation, that yes, getting the second undergrad degree would be stupid.

This is from the FAQ for the Stanford OR grad program: "Applicants must have completed one year of calculus before applying. Students may complete the other background requirements (fifteen units of engineering/science, computer programming, and probability) after admission, or during the M.S. program. "

I take it with an MSc in physics, you've probably taken a year of calculus.

I work in operations management / industrial engineering at GE, and I can tell you that I haven't even seen anyone here with a master's in OR. The program I'm in requires any sort of engineering degree (mine is mechanical). One of the guys I work with has a criminal justice degree and relevant experience. Strictly analytical IE jobs are generally only found in consulting. If you just want to be a technical consultant, go for your grad degree in IE.

If you want to actually be a practicing industrial engineer, you will enter the "supply chain management" organization within a company and will be considered a supply chain professional. As a supply chain professional you can focus on the industrial engineering side of things, but there typically isn't such a thing as an industrial engineering department or division. It's managers who happen to be more technically focused for a few years. The job title will be something like "Six Sigma Black Belt" or "Lean Leader." These positions will be filled by production managers and manufacturing engineers, and people in these positions will be expected to move on to other general management or quality positions.

Because of the interdisciplinary nature of supply chain management, no strict technical specialization is usually required. If you can show general analytical skills and an ability to communicate well, you can get into supply chain management. Once in, you can choose the positions you like with a decent amount of flexibility.

Without any work experience or a directly relevant degree, you could get into industrial management, but it may be at a lower level than you would want. I recommend applying to OR or IE grad programs. They will probably want to see some experience as well though to be sure you know what you are getting into this time. See if you can find a local APICS chapter and get involved there. You may want to go for the CPIM certification also. It's relatively easy to get with the basic study materials.

An alternative option would be to work for a few years in the most prestigious job you can get (of any type) and then go for an MBA.

Of course, with the economy how it is now, the labor market is flooded with experienced IEs and managers from Detroit.

Last edited:

Congratulations on your decision to pursue a career in Industrial Engineering! Your background in physics will provide a strong foundation for this field, as both disciplines involve problem-solving, critical thinking, and mathematical analysis.

In terms of suggestions, I would recommend researching different universities and their Industrial Engineering programs to find one that aligns with your interests in Operations Research. Additionally, considering your interest in computer simulations and numerical calculations, it may be beneficial to look for programs that offer courses or specialization in these areas.

As for obtaining a second undergraduate degree, it is not necessary but it may provide you with a more well-rounded education in Industrial Engineering. However, it may also be possible to gain the necessary knowledge and skills through a combination of courses, workshops, and hands-on experience. Ultimately, the decision to pursue a second undergraduate degree should be based on your personal goals and career aspirations. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors!

1. What is the difference between a Physics MSc and an Industrial Engineering degree?

A Physics MSc degree focuses on the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while an Industrial Engineering degree focuses on the design, improvement, and optimization of systems, processes, and products. The former is more theoretical and research-based, while the latter is more practical and application-oriented.

2. Can a Physics MSc graduate pursue a career in Industrial Engineering?

Yes, a Physics MSc graduate can pursue a career in Industrial Engineering. While the degree may not have a direct focus on industrial engineering concepts, the strong analytical and problem-solving skills gained in a Physics MSc program can be applied to various aspects of industrial engineering, such as data analysis, operations research, and process optimization.

3. Will I need to take additional courses or training to transition from a Physics MSc to an Industrial Engineering career?

It depends on the specific program and courses taken during the Physics MSc program. Some universities may offer a joint Physics-Industrial Engineering master's degree, which would provide a more direct path to an industrial engineering career. Otherwise, some additional courses or training may be necessary to gain a better understanding of industrial engineering concepts and techniques.

4. What job opportunities are available for a Physics MSc graduate in the field of Industrial Engineering?

Physics MSc graduates with a focus on applied or engineering physics can find job opportunities in various industries, such as manufacturing, transportation, energy, and technology. They may work as data analysts, process engineers, quality engineers, or operations research analysts, among others. With additional training, they may also pursue roles in project management, supply chain management, or product design.

5. How can a Physics MSc degree benefit an industrial engineering career?

A Physics MSc degree can benefit an industrial engineering career in several ways. The strong mathematical and analytical skills acquired in the program can be applied to problem-solving and process optimization in industrial engineering. Additionally, the research experience gained in a Physics MSc program can be valuable in conducting experiments and analyzing data in an industrial engineering setting. Overall, the combination of theoretical knowledge and practical skills obtained in a Physics MSc program can make a graduate a well-rounded and versatile industrial engineer.