Physics of spring airgun cylinder system?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
StrSpeed
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
So recently I became more interested in CAD and i found myself drafting designs for spring airguns cylinders ect. All of-course meaningless given that I have zero understanding of the math behind the design. I am no Mechanical engineer, I am a business student so if I am getting into advanced stuff here let me know but I still intend on giving it my best..

/end rant/

Essentially I would like to understand how to calculate the pressure in a system when a Force of 550 Newtons is applied to it.

System volume: 37464
Piston(Right Cylinder) Volume: 24543 mm
Barrel(Right Cylinder) Volume: 12921mm
Change in Volume at piston peak: 24543

The gas inside the system is at sea level atmospheric pressure

I have also attached an image for reference!

if I am leaving anything out please let me know and Ill attempt to elaborate more!
ip47l2.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the 550N force is the force at the end of the stroke then the pressure is simply force divided by piston area.