Physics or Engineering or that applied stuff?

In summary: Ultimately, it depends on what you are more interested in and what you want to do in your career. In summary, the conversation is about a person's dilemma between studying physics or engineering and the difference between physics and applied physics. The conversation also touches on the misconception of physicists just pondering on things while engineers make them happen, and the dream of working in a quantum lab. The expert suggests doing more research and potentially double majoring since there is overlap in the two fields.
Rhine720
So Before I go on hoarding credits and what not I've come to this predicament (thanks to these forums).

Which is more reccomended Physics or engineering? And Then what's the difference between physics and applied physics? Are they different degrees?

My real dream is to work in a quantum lab (Quantum physics is my favourite) yet i hear engineers do a lot of work with science kinda things? So do Physicist just ponder on things while engineers just make them happen? And applied physicist are just there?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Rhine720 said:
Which is more reccomended Physics or engineering?

Recommended by whom? It's a personal choice that comes down to different things for different people. Loosely, engineers build things and are a form of applied physicists - but then there are also physicists that may not consider themselves to be engineers that are involved in building and designing detectors etc.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer for a description of an engineer, and see ZapperZ's magnificent 'so you want to be a physicist' thread for information on physicists.

Rhine720 said:
So do Physicist just ponder on things while engineers just make them happen?

As you're no doubt aware, physics is a huge subject spanning many fields. There are many things one can do with physics, and I'm finding it difficult to answer your question without just saying 'no'. For a quick look at fields in physics, see http://physics.about.com/od/physics101thebasics/f/FieldsPhysics.htm.

Rhine720 said:
My real dream is to work in a quantum lab (Quantum physics is my favourite)

I don't want to disappoint but unfortunately such things do not really exist anymore! Quantum physics is an old theory and has been well investigated - that is not to say that quantum physics is not used, only that it's applications and usefulness have been determined. Many physicists use quantum physics to explain/investigate phenomena in their fields including things like particle physics/semiconductor physics/solid state.. the list goes on.

You may want to consider double majoring, since a bs in physics and most engineering degrees share a lot of core classes.

Related to Physics or Engineering or that applied stuff?

1. What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is a fundamental science that focuses on understanding the natural world and its laws through observations, experiments, and mathematical models. Engineering, on the other hand, is the application of scientific principles and knowledge to design, create, and improve systems, structures, and processes that solve real-world problems.

2. How does physics apply to everyday life?

Physics plays a crucial role in our daily lives, from the technology we use to the natural phenomena we encounter. For example, the principles of physics are essential for understanding how electricity works, the mechanics of driving a car, and the movement of objects in our environment.

3. What are some common engineering fields and their applications?

Engineering is a broad field with various specializations, such as civil, mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineering. Civil engineers design and construct infrastructure like roads and bridges, while mechanical engineers work on developing machines and devices. Electrical engineers focus on electricity and electrical systems, and chemical engineers work on developing products and processes involving chemicals, such as pharmaceuticals and food production.

4. How does engineering contribute to the advancement of society?

Engineering has a significant impact on society by improving our quality of life and solving complex problems. Engineers design and develop solutions to global issues like clean energy, transportation, and healthcare. They also contribute to the economy by creating new industries and job opportunities.

5. What skills are necessary for a career in physics or engineering?

A career in physics or engineering requires a strong foundation in math and science, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively in a team. Excellent communication skills and creativity are also beneficial for success in these fields.