Physics PhD without staying permanently at school

In summary, the place the OP is thinking of does not offer a PhD program that does not require a thesis.
alejandrito29
There is a place where i could to study a phd physics, where do not exist the need of stay physical at the place?I have 32 years old, i live in Bolivia, i have a master of physics (i studied out of Bolivia) , and one publication on physical review D. By reasons family, i do not want get out again of my country

Physics news on Phys.org
Not realistically. Where do you plan on doing the research component of the degree?

I don't know the university, since, in Bolivia there is not Phd in physics, and i do not want get out again of my country.

Topics that would be: gravitation, extra dimensions, extensions of general relativity, etc...

It's not realistic. A PhD needs to have a research component.

There are a few things that I don't understand here.

1. From the topic of this thread, it appears that you think you have to stay "permanently" at the location of the school to do a PhD? Where did you get this idea? This is false if this is what you think is required.

2. When you do your PhD, practically all schools REQUIRE that you spend some time in residence, especially since you need to have a good contact with your advisor, and may have to complete requirements such as preliminary exams, etc. I don't know of ANY reputable school that will allow you to complete a physics PhD without ever attending or being present physically at that school for a period of time. You may not have to spend your entire length of the program there, but you will have to spend some (at least, it isn't "permanent", no?).

Zz.

alejandrito29 said:
There is a place where i could to study a phd physics, where do not exist the need of stay physical at the place?

No, sorry.

some suggest for my case?

alejandrito29 said:
some suggest for my case?

Are you going to keep asking the question over and over until you get the answer you want? You hgagve your answer. I'm sorry that it's not the answer you want.

This would probably only happen if you were doing technical work at a place concurrently with your PhD where an agreement was made as to what counted towards your thesis. I work at a national lab where scientists have done their masters and phD thesis on projects they were already working on at the lab (apart from their grad school work); I've also met engineers where a similar arrangement was made with the firms they were working for. I don't know how this would work for your situation though.

clope023 said:
I work at a national lab where scientists have done their masters and phD thesis on projects they were already working on at the lab

And every one of them did their coursework at their university. Furthermore, unless Los Alamos opens up a Bolivian branch, this won't work for the OP.

Vanadium 50 said:
And every one of them did their coursework at their university. Furthermore, unless Los Alamos opens up a Bolivian branch, this won't work for the OP.
The OP did explicitly mention coursework. Your quip is also why I said this to the OP.

"I don't know how this would work for your situation though."

Reading is fundamental.

clope023 said:
This would probably only happen if you were doing technical work at a place concurrently with your PhD where an agreement was made as to what counted towards your thesis. I work at a national lab where scientists have done their masters and phD thesis on projects they were already working on at the lab (apart from their grad school work); I've also met engineers where a similar arrangement was made with the firms they were working for. I don't know how this would work for your situation though.

Apparently, his country doesn't offer a PhD program in physics at all (As stated by the OP), so I don't see how this applies.

Maybe you should take your own advice:
Reading is fundamental.

The best advice for the OP is to wait until such a time that his desire for a doctorate outweighs any familial/location requirements.

You won't have to live on campus, if that's what you mean. But you will be expected to go to classes, meet with professors, and participate in research work at a bare minimum, all of which obviously requires your physical presence at the university. And anything claiming to offer graduate-level coursework as a distance learning program is something you should stay far, far away from.

My advice to OP is to either work things out with your family or wait until you don't have obligations that prevent you from relocating.

Thanks.

Other Question: There is a places of the world, where, the phd is only a thesis?, without asignatures

Thinking in a phd whit only thesis and permanence of short times

FAQ: Physics PhD without staying permanently at school

1. What is a "Physics PhD without staying permanently at school"?

A "Physics PhD without staying permanently at school" refers to a program where a student can obtain a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in Physics without being enrolled in a traditional, full-time graduate program at a university. This option typically allows students to conduct research and complete coursework remotely, without the need to be physically present on campus.

2. How long does it take to complete a Physics PhD without staying permanently at school?

The length of time it takes to complete a Physics PhD without staying permanently at school varies depending on the individual program and the student's pace. It can take anywhere from 3-7 years to complete, similar to a traditional full-time PhD program.

3. What are the requirements for a Physics PhD without staying permanently at school?

The requirements for a Physics PhD without staying permanently at school may vary depending on the program, but typically include completing coursework, conducting original research, and writing and defending a dissertation. Some programs may also require students to attend occasional in-person meetings or seminars.

4. Can I work while pursuing a Physics PhD without staying permanently at school?

Yes, one of the benefits of a Physics PhD without staying permanently at school is the flexibility to work while pursuing your degree. This can be especially beneficial for those who need to support themselves financially or want to gain work experience in their field of study.

5. What are the career opportunities for graduates with a Physics PhD without staying permanently at school?

Graduates with a Physics PhD without staying permanently at school have a variety of career options available to them, including positions in research and development, academia, government agencies, and private industries such as technology and engineering. The skills and knowledge gained during the program can also be applied to a wide range of fields and industries, making graduates highly sought after by employers.