How Can I Enhance My Physics Problem Solving Skills for Competitions Like IPhO?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding resources to improve problem solving skills in physics. Some suggestions included websites, books like "Problems in General Physics" and "A Guide to Physics Problems," and also non-physics books like "The Art of Problem Solving." The general consensus was that practicing and learning problem solving methods is key to improving skills.
glueball8
Hi, I need to improve Physics Problem Solving Skills. Any book, paper, websites on this?

I'm looking for pre to IPhO level. Something like http://www.phys.uAlberta.ca/olympiad/pdf/probsolv.pdf I'm trying to find papers that would be me a edge on solving hard or tricky problems.

Plus is there any tips on Problem solving skills?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm looking for the exact same thing. Ok, not the problems, i have loads. But i need tips on problem solving. Some of the problems can be really demoralising. Is it a good idea to look at a lot of solved problems first?

And, as for the books, Problems in General Physics by IE Irodov, and A guide to Physics Problems Volumes 1 and 2 by Sidney B. Cahn, Gerald D. Mahan and Boris Nadgorny.
Also, you could search for some stuff on www.scribd.com.

Although it's not a physics book, one of my first (and in my opinion, the awesomest) training tools for problem solving was The Art of Problem Solving (Vol I and II). If you're looking for general problem solving practice, and brushing up some rudimentary math skills, it's a good investment. Vol I is really basic stuff (starts with VERY basic algebra, trig, counting/probability, geo) but there are some good sturdy questions here and there. It's more about the methods and practice of problem solving.
Vol II is substantially more advanced, I'm finishing up the tail end of it over the next few weeks.

Perhaps I'm partial because it was the series that got me started and interested in math, but I'd say look into it at least.
http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Books/AoPS_B_Item.php?item_id=102

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are physics problem solving skills?

Physics problem solving skills refer to the ability to apply knowledge of physics principles and theories to analyze and solve complex problems. It involves critical thinking, logical reasoning, and the use of mathematical equations and formulas.

2. Why are physics problem solving skills important?

Physics problem solving skills are important because they enable scientists to understand and explain the natural phenomena and laws that govern our universe. These skills are also crucial in various fields such as engineering, technology, and medicine, where a deep understanding of physics is necessary.

3. How can one improve their physics problem solving skills?

Improving physics problem solving skills requires practice and a systematic approach. One can start by thoroughly understanding the underlying concepts and principles, then practicing solving various types of problems using different techniques and strategies. Seeking help from teachers, peers, or online resources can also be beneficial.

4. What are some common challenges in physics problem solving?

Some common challenges in physics problem solving include being overwhelmed by the complexity of the problem, lack of understanding of the underlying concepts, difficulty in identifying the correct formula or equation to use, and making mistakes in calculations. Time constraints and pressure can also add to the challenges.

5. How can physics problem solving skills be applied in everyday life?

Physics problem solving skills can be applied in everyday life to understand and explain various phenomena, such as the motion of objects, the behavior of fluids, and the properties of light and sound. These skills can also be useful in making informed decisions when it comes to energy consumption, transportation, and other practical applications of physics principles.