Physics proof for traffic ticket

In summary, the scientist argues that the angular speed of a car near a stop sign peaks shortly before and after the stop, where the observed angular speed is zero. During that brief moment that the speed is zero, another car was blocking the sight of the officer. It's probably easier to understand if you read the actual proof.
12markkram34
So I read about a scientist who wrote a physics proof to prove that he did not run a stop sign, basing his argument on the fact that angular speed of a car moving near a stop sign )as observed by a distant perpendicular observer) peaks shortly before and after the stop, where the observed angular speed is zero. During that brief moment that the speed is zero, another car was blocking the sight of the officer. It's probably easier to understand if you read the actual proof.

The proof is here: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1204.0162v1.pdf

So I understand everything up to part IV, where he calculates the times that obstruction starts and ends. What I don't understand is why he added the two lengths together for one and subtracted them for the other. I think the problem is that he doesn't really specify where the obstructing car is at a particular time, though it could just be me because I'm not really good at mechanics.

Of course, his overall argument is pretty unrealistic since it contends that acceleration starts immediately after deceleration, but I still want to understand the basis of the "proof."

EDIT: I also see an issue with how he defines where his car is. From his part about speed, we can assume that he is defining x as the distance from his front bumper to the stop line. If that is the case, then it would not make sense to calculate when his front bumper is the sum of the lengths away from the line, since if partial obstruction began when he was at that point (that would make the front bumper of the obstructing car be l1 away from the line), his car would be exposed at the stop line (since the obstructing car does not reach that far). Could it be just that that part of his proof is totally bad?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bumping since it's been two days without a response.

12markkram34 said:
What I don't understand is why he added the two lengths together for one and subtracted them for the other.
That makes sense for calculating total and partial obstruction. But I didn't go through his math.

12markkram34 said:
What I don't understand is why he added the two lengths together for one and subtracted them for the other.

His definition of the distance of partial obstruction spans when the front bumper is the same distance from the stop sign as the other car's rear bumper, to when his rear bumper is the same distance as the other car's front bumper.

Assuming the other car is stationary at the stop sign, this is a distance from when the front bumper is at [itex]x_1 = -l_2[/itex] (front bumper is even with the other car's rear bumper) to when the front bumper is at [itex]x_2 = +l_1[/itex] (rear bumper is even with the other car's front bumper). Using [itex]\Delta{x} = x_2 - x_1[/itex] gives [itex]x_p = (+l_1) - (-l_2) = l_1 + l_2[/itex].

His definition of full obstuction occurs when the rear bumper has passed the other car's rear bumper, yet his front bumper has not passed the other car's front bumper. So at the point when his rear bumper is even with the other car's rear bumper, his front bumper has a distance of [itex]l_2 - l_1[/itex] to travel before it goes past.

12markkram34 said:
I think the problem is that he doesn't really specify where the obstructing car is at a particular time, though it could just be me because I'm not really good at mechanics.

He is using small angle approximations. Actually, he uses a lot of simplifying assumptions, approximations, and worst case scenarios, probably for an audience which does not have a thorough background in physics.

Last edited:

I find this approach to proving a traffic ticket to be intriguing. It is not uncommon for scientific principles to be used in legal cases, and in this situation, the individual is using the principles of angular speed and obstruction to argue their case.

From my understanding of the proof, the individual is using the concept of angular speed to show that their car was not in motion when it passed the stop sign. This is based on the fact that the angular speed of a moving object is zero at the point where it changes direction, in this case, the stop sign. By showing that the angular speed of their car was zero at the stop sign, they are arguing that they were not moving and therefore did not run the stop sign.

However, I do see some potential issues with the proof. As you mentioned, there is a lack of specificity in the positioning of the obstructing car and the calculations for when obstruction begins and ends. This could potentially weaken the argument, as it relies heavily on the accuracy of these calculations.

Additionally, as you pointed out, the assumption that acceleration starts immediately after deceleration is not entirely realistic. There are many factors that can affect the time it takes for a car to accelerate, such as road conditions, the weight of the car, and the skill of the driver. Therefore, this part of the argument may not hold up in a real-life situation.

Overall, while the use of physics in this situation is interesting, it may not be the most reliable method for proving a traffic ticket. There are many variables and potential flaws in the calculations that could weaken the argument. It would be best to consult with a legal expert and gather additional evidence to support the case.

1. How can physics be used to prove a traffic ticket?

Physics can be used to prove a traffic ticket by analyzing the laws of motion and the principles of force and acceleration. This can help determine if the driver was going over the speed limit or if they were following too closely, both of which are common reasons for receiving a traffic ticket.

2. What evidence can be used from physics to support a traffic ticket?

Evidence from physics that can support a traffic ticket includes measurements of speed, distance, and time, as well as calculations of acceleration and force. This evidence can be gathered from witness statements, traffic cameras, and physical evidence from the scene of the incident.

3. Can physics be used to disprove a traffic ticket?

Yes, physics can also be used to disprove a traffic ticket. For example, if the officer's radar gun was not properly calibrated or if there were extenuating circumstances, such as bad weather or road conditions, that affected the driver's ability to follow traffic laws, this can be used as evidence to dispute the ticket.

4. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to use it as evidence for a traffic ticket?

While a background in physics can certainly be helpful in understanding the principles and calculations involved in proving a traffic ticket, it is not necessary. Lawyers and experts in the field can also assist in analyzing the evidence and presenting it in court.

5. Are there any limitations to using physics as evidence for a traffic ticket?

Yes, there are some limitations to using physics as evidence for a traffic ticket. For example, if there are no witnesses or physical evidence to support the calculations, it may be difficult to prove the violation. Additionally, human error and other factors can also affect the accuracy of the evidence.