1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics question with polynomials

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    this seems more like a phsics word problem, I am not even sure how to set this problem up to use it as a polynomial.

"A person holds a pistol straight upward and fires. The initial velocity of most bullets is around 1200 ft/sec. The hieght of the bullet is a function of time and is described by

h(t)= -16t^2+1200t

How long after the gun is fired, does the person have to get out of the way of the bullet falling from the sky??
    "

not even sure what to do or how to set it up..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2009 #2
    find the roots and then you'll have 0 for when the gun is fired and the other root when the bullet falls to the ground, the time would be the number when the bullet would come back down (t )

4. Nov 3, 2009 #3
    so I factored out -16t and got (t - 75) so I get 75, so I guess the answer is 75, as in 75 seconds till the bullet comes back down?? I guess that seems realistic.

seems like this would be more involved with physics, like including gravity..

PS THANKS FOR THE HELP

5. Nov 3, 2009 #4
    well they defined some function for you already so thats all you have to worry about
    you're welcome :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook