Physics research without knowlegde of chemistry

In summary, the individual did not study chemistry in high school and only completed year-1 studies in physics and math in college. They are interested in pursuing research in quantum physics or geophysics, but are concerned about their limited knowledge in chemistry. They are considering fields such as relativity, string theory, or astrophysics that do not require much chemistry knowledge, but have concerns about their abilities and interests in those fields. They have been advised to take a basic course in introductory/general chemistry, but it is not a requirement for their physics degree.
kntsy
I did not study chemistry in high school and i finished my year-1 study of physics and math in college.
I want to do research in Physics after i finish undergrad.
1.My first choice will be Quantum Physics. However i have no chemistry knowlegde so i might not be able to do condensed matter research. Therefore what particular field of quantum physics with little requirement of chemistry can i do research on(except quantum information)?
2. My second choice will be geophysics. This is quite a dangerous choice as Geophysics requires much knowledge of the chemical properties of rock/earth. Can i still be able to do reserach on geophysics?

I know that i will be pretty safe in relativity, string theory or astrophysics(maybe?) as these fields do not require much knowlegde of chemistry. However, i know that i am not smart enough to do string theory while i have little interest in astrophysics so i am really worried after my future. Thanks for the reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just take chemistry?

You don't need to know any chemistry to do any physics, really. I even know people doing research in quantum chemistry without much chemistry education.

That said, if you plan on getting a degree in physics, completing a basic course on introductory/general chemistry should not be a major hassle.

Where I'm currently doing my undergrad physics degree, Gen. Chemistry 1 & 2 are both required courses. They aren't prereqs for anything, just required for the physics major. If they don't fit in your schedule, don't worry about it, but maybe you should try to do some self-study. I'm working in a lab this summer in soft condensed matter, and like you said there is tons of organic chemistry going on. I don't know the details on other fields though.

I would advise against pursuing research in any field without a solid foundation in chemistry. While it is possible to do research in physics without extensive knowledge of chemistry, it will greatly limit your options and potential for success. Chemistry is a fundamental science that underlies many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics and geophysics. Without a good understanding of chemistry, you may struggle to fully grasp the concepts and principles in these fields and may struggle to design and conduct experiments.

In terms of your first choice, quantum physics, it is important to note that all fields of quantum physics involve some level of chemistry, as it deals with the behavior of particles and atoms. However, there are certain subfields within quantum physics that may have less emphasis on chemistry, such as quantum optics or quantum computing. It would be beneficial for you to do some research and speak with professors in these fields to determine if they align with your interests and abilities.

In regards to geophysics, it is true that a strong understanding of chemistry is necessary for this field, as it deals with the chemical properties of rocks and minerals. However, there may be some research areas within geophysics that are less chemistry-heavy, such as seismology or geodynamics. Again, it would be best to speak with professors in these fields to determine if they would be a good fit for you.

Overall, my advice would be to not limit yourself by avoiding chemistry. It is a crucial component of many areas of physics and having a solid foundation in it will greatly benefit your research pursuits. If you are truly interested in quantum physics and geophysics, consider taking some additional chemistry courses or seeking out resources to improve your understanding in this subject. With dedication and hard work, you can overcome any challenges and become a successful researcher in your chosen field.

1. What is the relationship between physics and chemistry?

Physics and chemistry are two closely related fields of science. Physics is concerned with the study of matter and energy and their interactions, while chemistry focuses on the composition, structure, and properties of substances. Both fields use similar principles and techniques, and advancements in one can often lead to discoveries in the other.

2. Can physics research be done without a strong understanding of chemistry?

While a basic understanding of chemistry is important for anyone studying physics, it is possible to conduct physics research without in-depth knowledge of chemistry. Many physicists collaborate with chemists to gain expertise in specific chemical processes or materials, but they may also use mathematical models and theories to study physical phenomena without needing detailed chemical knowledge.

3. How does physics research without knowledge of chemistry impact scientific discoveries?

Physics research without knowledge of chemistry can still lead to important scientific discoveries. While some areas of research, such as materials science, require expertise in both fields, there are many other areas where physics can make significant contributions without a deep understanding of chemistry. In fact, some of the most groundbreaking discoveries in physics have been made by scientists with little or no background in chemistry.

4. What are some examples of physics research that does not involve chemistry?

One example of physics research without knowledge of chemistry is the study of fundamental particles and forces, such as those being conducted at the Large Hadron Collider. Another example is research on astrophysics and cosmology, which focus on the study of the universe and its origins. Additionally, research on quantum mechanics and theoretical physics often does not require a strong understanding of chemistry.

5. How does interdisciplinary research between physics and chemistry benefit scientific progress?

Interdisciplinary research between physics and chemistry allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the natural world. By combining the principles and techniques of both fields, scientists can better study and explain complex phenomena. This collaboration also leads to new discoveries and advancements in technology, such as the development of new materials with specific properties for various applications.