1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics research without knowlegde of chemistry

1. Jul 20, 2010 #1
    I did not study chemistry in high school and i finished my year-1 study of physics and math in college.
    I want to do research in Physics after i finish undergrad.
    1.My first choice will be Quantum Physics. However i have no chemistry knowlegde so i might not be able to do condensed matter research. Therefore what particular field of quantum physics with little requirement of chemistry can i do research on(except quantum information)?
    2. My second choice will be geophysics. This is quite a dangerous choice as Geophysics requires much knowledge of the chemical properties of rock/earth. Can i still be able to do reserach on geophysics?

I know that i will be pretty safe in relativity, string theory or astrophysics(maybe?) as these fields do not require much knowlegde of chemistry. However, i know that i am not smart enough to do string theory while i have little interest in astrophysics so i am really worried after my future. Thanks for the reply.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why not just take chemistry?

4. Jul 20, 2010 #3

alxm

Science Advisor

You don't need to know any chemistry to do any physics, really. I even know people doing research in quantum chemistry without much chemistry education.

That said, if you plan on getting a degree in physics, completing a basic course on introductory/general chemistry should not be a major hassle.

5. Jul 20, 2010 #4
    Where I'm currently doing my undergrad physics degree, Gen. Chemistry 1 & 2 are both required courses. They aren't prereqs for anything, just required for the physics major. If they don't fit in your schedule, don't worry about it, but maybe you should try to do some self-study. I'm working in a lab this summer in soft condensed matter, and like you said there is tons of organic chemistry going on. I don't know the details on other fields though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook