Physics Advanced Beyond Calc I - Need Advice

• Thread starter naes213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the person was initially given the option to take Calculus III in their freshman year, but opted to take a more advanced and theoretical Calculus I course instead. However, they did not anticipate their physics course requiring knowledge of Calculus II, which they have not taken. They are now wondering if they can teach themselves enough Calculus III to understand the physics class and are seeking recommendations for textbooks. It is suggested that Stewart's "Calculus" is a good choice for self-study, and another book called "Div, Grad, Curl, and All That" may also be helpful.
naes213
So i was given the option of taking calc III freshmen year because of a placement test, but decided to take calc one, albeit a more advanced and theoretical calc one, but nonetheless calc one. Something i didnt forsee was my physics course advancing beyond calculus that i had learned previously. The class i am in requires you to take calc II next in order to fully complete the course. I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be possible for me to pick up a text covering calc III topics and teach myself enough to be able to do the physics and if so are there any recommended texts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's possible to teach yourself enough Calc III to get by in physics classes. In fact, learning math on your own is something your should learn as quickly as possible if your a physics or engineering major.

Ideally you shouldn't have to learn math on your own. You should have the math course before you take the physics course needing the math. As you just found out though, it doesn't always work out that way!

I think Stewart's "Calculus" is easy enough to self study and is a very well-rounded book (not too hard, not too easy). It's one problem is that it is not a very rigorous text. This shouldn't be a problem though if your plan is to learn this to use in a physics class. If you were self studying to prepare for a proof-based analysis course on the other hand, I would not recommend Stewart.

pick up div grad curl and all that. but i don't understand- if the class requires calc 2 why are you worrying about calc 3?

G01 thanks very much for the response...i'll definitely check out stewart's. And Ice, I am sorry if i wasn't clear, but what i meant is that there are calc III topics in my phyiscs class and i have only taken the equivalent of calc II.

Thanks again!

naes213 said:
G01 thanks very much for the response...i'll definitely check out stewart's. And Ice, I am sorry if i wasn't clear, but what i meant is that there are calc III topics in my phyiscs class and i have only taken the equivalent of calc II.

Thanks again!

ice109 also may not have been clear. Div, Grad, Curl, and All That:An Informal Text on Vector Calculus,

http://www.wwnorton.com/college/titles/math/div4/contents.htm

is a book by H.M. Schey. If your library has a copy, take a look to see if this infamous book can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
George Jones,

Good call! I did not realize that what ice109 referred to was a title of a book and it turns out that my library has it and it seems to fit the bill for what I was looking for. Thanks for the help!

What is the purpose of studying Physics Advanced Beyond Calc I?

The purpose of studying Physics Advanced Beyond Calc I is to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles and laws governing the behavior of matter and energy in the world around us. It also prepares students for more advanced topics in physics and other related fields.

What are some common topics covered in Physics Advanced Beyond Calc I?

Some common topics covered in Physics Advanced Beyond Calc I include electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Students will also learn about advanced mathematical techniques and how to apply them to solve complex problems.

What skills are necessary to succeed in Physics Advanced Beyond Calc I?

To succeed in Physics Advanced Beyond Calc I, students should have a strong foundation in calculus, algebra, and trigonometry. They should also possess critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical reasoning skills. Good time management and study habits are also important for success in this challenging course.

What are some common career paths for those who study Physics Advanced Beyond Calc I?

Studying Physics Advanced Beyond Calc I can lead to a variety of career paths, including research in academia or industry, engineering, data analysis, and teaching. Many students also go on to pursue advanced degrees in physics or related fields.

How can I prepare for Physics Advanced Beyond Calc I?

To prepare for Physics Advanced Beyond Calc I, it is important to have a strong understanding of the material covered in Calculus I and II, as well as a solid grasp of basic physics concepts. Students can also review advanced mathematical techniques and practice solving problems using these methods. Additionally, seeking out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups can also help in preparing for this course.