1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Physics Physics textbook covering relative kinematics/dynamics

1. Oct 26, 2016 #1
    My university's professors have a pathological obsession with non inertial frames of reference which apparently has been going on for decades. As a result we work tons of these problems involving kinematics, dynamics and so on.

However, none of the books listed in the bibliography of the course include a chapter on this, and the handouts are as messy as they get (this is the first year this course is taught in English, and the teachers prepared it in a couple of months notice).

So, if I want to pass this course without losing my sanity I really need a book which covers relative kinematics and dynamics rigorously, a rigorous chapter at least. This would be my reference for the whole 8 month + course so it needs to be a decent text overall (if it covers the stuff taught after mechanics like electromagnetism, fluids, thermo... it would make it almost perfect). Everything here is also Calculus heavy.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Even if we could simply point you to a book that covers non-inertial reference frames, it is difficult to recommend you a text that covers an entire 8 month course without having access to the course curriculum.

4. Oct 26, 2016 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Oct 27, 2016 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Do you mean relativistic physics when you say "relative dynamics"? If so then SRT text rarely give a satisfactory treatment of non-inertial frames of reference. An impressive work is

E. Gourgoulhon, Special Relativity in General Frames, Springer 2013

It's of course an overkill for an introductory course ;-).

6. Oct 27, 2016 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted