1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Vs. Mathematics, you decide!

1. Aug 24, 2014 #1
    Hello everybody! I am going to be heading to university in the spring and I am having a lot of trouble deciding on my potential major. I plan on attempting to experience research in both areas while I'm in college, but not knowing exactly what I want to do is killing me. Since the beginning of the year, I have gone though Kleppner and Kolenkow's Classical Mechanics and I am about to finish Calculus by Spivak.

I chose these books to get a real look at my potential future and the rigor involved in both areas. After working through K&K I was dead set on physics. Their way of introducing newtonian mechanics blew my mind and I enjoyed every painstaking minute of working through the problems. The beauty of their explanations never ceased to amaze and excite me. I am highly looking forward to exploring the world of electrodynamics. I never understood just how amazing Einstein was until reading working through some initial problems.

However, I wanted to also experience pure math because a lot of what I enjoy about physics is the mathematical aspect. I was hoping attempting Spivak would solidify my decision to stick with physics. It didn't. I have been thoroughly enjoying the rigor and complete understanding that comes from proving theorems.

So, as you know by now, I remain undecided. I know this will be a completely personal decision I will eventually have to make, but I would enjoy hearing from the many brilliant people on this forum.

TLDR​

What was you initial inspiration or reason for exploring the option?

Why did you choose Physics/Math? (or engineering, biology, etc. special preference on the former)

What aspects of the subject led you and keep you in the subject?

Where did you get or continue to get your inspiration?

Thanks everybody, I look forward to seeing your responses.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2014 #2
    Actually I'm in the same position as you. I like both and its a hard decision to make. If you send me a PM we could talk about it more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook