Witness 1000 Digits of Pi in the Sky Over SF

• Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi Sf Sky
In summary, "Witness 1000 Digits of Pi in the Sky Over SF" is a scientific project that involves using a special type of aircraft to write the first 1000 digits of Pi in the sky over San Francisco. The digits are written using a technique called skywriting and the project is significant because it combines mathematics and aeronautics. The digits will be visible for approximately 15-20 minutes and the project is a collaborative effort between scientists, mathematicians, and pilots, funded by various organizations and companies. The goal is to celebrate Pi Day and promote STEM education.
fourier jr
I think it's the first 1000 digits. wish I could have been there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iALEU1dD1A

Physics news on Phys.org
I can think of other things I'd rather spend my money on.

Wow...

1. What is "Witness 1000 Digits of Pi in the Sky Over SF"?

"Witness 1000 Digits of Pi in the Sky Over SF" is a scientific project that involves using a special type of aircraft to write the first 1000 digits of the mathematical constant Pi (π) in the sky over the city of San Francisco. This event is meant to celebrate Pi Day, which falls on March 14th every year.

2. How are the digits of Pi written in the sky?

The digits of Pi are written using a technique called skywriting, where a special type of airplane releases smoke in a controlled manner to create letters and numbers in the sky. For this project, the plane will be equipped with a special smoke dispensing system that can create the digits of Pi accurately and clearly.

3. Why is this project significant?

This project is significant because it combines the fields of mathematics and aeronautics, and showcases the beauty and complexity of Pi. It also serves as a way to engage the public in a fun and unique way and to raise awareness about the importance of Pi in various fields of science and technology.

4. How long will the digits of Pi be visible in the sky?

The digits of Pi will be visible in the sky for approximately 15-20 minutes, depending on weather conditions and wind speed. The smoke dissipates quickly, so it is important to be in the designated viewing area during the scheduled time to fully witness the event.

5. Who is behind this project?

This project is a collaboration between a team of scientists, mathematicians, and pilots. It is funded by various scientific organizations and companies who support the celebration of Pi Day and the promotion of STEM education. The team is dedicated to ensuring the accuracy and success of the event and to inspire the next generation of scientists and mathematicians.