Picking up calculus again after 2 years?

In summary, the speaker is a biochemistry major who completed their first semester of physical chemistry and enjoyed the mathematics involved. They want to take multivariable calculus and differential equations to prepare for quantitative graduate programs in biochemistry and are also working as an undergraduate research assistant in a biophysical chemistry laboratory. They are concerned about not remembering the material from their freshman year calculus courses, but others suggest doing self-review or looking online for a refresher.
DanL
I'm a biochemistry major (chemistry focused, not biology focused program) and I have just completed the fall semester of my junior year. I completed my first semester of physical chemistry (chemical thermodynamics) and I really enjoyed the mathematics. My major only requires calculus 1 and 2, even though physical chemistry required some basic multivariable which I learned on my own. I would like to take multivariable calculus and differential equations, as I am liking the look of more quantitative graduate programs in biochemistry, and I will be working as an undergraduate research assistant in a biophysical chemistry laboratory this spring semester. The problem is that I have not taken calculus since my freshman year, and even though I received an A in calculus 1 and 2, I don't want to crash and burn if I take multivariable calculus and differential equations because I've been away from the material for so long. Has anybody else been in this boat? Does the material come back to you easily? Any comments or suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to do some self-review. However, if you knew the material well enough to receive an A two years ago, you shouldn’t need any more than this.

You should be fine. If you're worried about not remembering how to do something, review your calculus notes/exams if you still have them, or just look online for a review of some sort.

If you still have your calculus book, perhaps doing some review problems wouldn't hurt either.

1. Can I still remember everything I learned in calculus after 2 years?

It is possible to forget some concepts or equations after a long break from studying calculus. However, with practice and review, most people are able to refresh their memory and pick up where they left off.

2. Will I struggle to catch up with my peers who have been consistently studying calculus?

It is natural to feel a bit behind if you have taken a break from studying calculus, but with determination and hard work, you can catch up with your peers. Seek help from a tutor or your classmates if you need extra support.

3. How long will it take for me to get back to my previous level of understanding?

The time it takes to get back to your previous level of understanding will vary depending on your individual learning style and the amount of time you dedicate to studying. Some people may take longer than others, but with consistent effort, you can reach your goals.

4. Do I need to relearn everything or can I skip some topics?

It is recommended to review all the topics you previously learned in calculus, as they build upon each other and skipping topics may lead to confusion later on. However, if you feel confident in certain areas, you can focus more on the topics that need more attention.

5. How can I make the transition back to studying calculus smoother?

To make the transition back to studying calculus smoother, it is important to set realistic goals and create a study schedule that works for you. Additionally, using online resources or seeking help from a tutor can also aid in your understanding and help you get back on track quickly.