Nose Picking: Can It Make Your Nose Bigger?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Ryuk1990
  • Start date
In summary, children do this all the time, even in public, and there are serious consequences from chronic nose-picking, including perforation of the nasal septum, chronic bleeding, and local infection.
Ryuk1990
Is there any scientific evidence suggesting that picking your nose over a long period of time can make your nose bigger?

Biology news on Phys.org
Ryuk1990 said:
Is there any scientific evidence suggesting that picking your nose over a long period of time can make your nose bigger?

Have you done a literature search on nose picking? We would prefer that you do some research on your own so that you are better equipped for a scientific discussion when you post.

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose,but you can't pick your friends nose.

hypatia said:
You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose,but you can't pick your friends nose.

Urban legend.

Ryuk1990 said:

Most definitely. Children do this all the time, even in public. Look how fast their noses grow.

And, it seems Einstein never shedded this bad habit. Just look.

Attachments

• einst_6.jpg
    einst_6.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 572
  • einst_7.jpg
    einst_7.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 581
A lot of it has to do with finger size and willingness to "go deep".

Last edited:
How does one find the appropriate wording to write a proposal to obtain the long term funding for such a research study? Anyone with such skill is welcome to help me write my next proposal. Name your fee!

stevenb said:
How does one find the appropriate wording to write a proposal to obtain the long term funding for such a research study? Anyone with such skill is welcome to help me write my next proposal. Name your fee!

Your proposal should be entitled: "Proposal for a long term cohort study of the consequences of rhinotillexomania in children." This study is good for at least 20 years of funding.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
Your proposal should be entitled: "Proposal for a long term cohort study of the consequences of rhinotillexomania in children." This study is good for at least 20 years of funding.

You're hired ! :cool:

stevenb said:
You're hired ! :cool:

Hey. I've worked on both sides of the fence on research grant funding. They'll think "rhino... what?" and be too embarrassed to ask what it means. It's about children so it must be important!

EDIT: That's only at the first level of review however, so don't get your hopes up too much.

Last edited:
Why does this even matter? I think it's safe to assume that most people pick their noses as much as the next guy/gal, yielding no significant or observable affect in size.

Ryuk1990 said:

Your nose and ears continue to grow throughout life. Speculative on my part here; but I wonder if this has anything to do with this myth?

SW VandeCarr said:
A lot of it has to do with finger size and willingness to "go deep".

:rofl: I knew this was going to get ugly!

Ivan Seeking said:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry its that slap happy time of night where everything funny appears quadruply so :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:

Actually it does get ugly. While there doesn't seem to be any evidence that chronic nose-picking causes noses to be larger than they otherwise would be, there are serious possible consequences from compulsive nose-picking (rhinotillexomania) including perforation of the nasal septum, chronic bleeding, and local infection with possible intracranial extension. The linked case report concerns penetration into the ethmoid sinus.

http://www.ajnr.org/cgi/reprint/18/10/1949.pdf

Last edited:
the key to nare hypertrophy is progressive overload. start small, using just the pinky. then, over a period of months to years, work your way up to the thumb.

That would be an interesting study. Paricularly the implications for the findings to be applied to other areas of the body that are frequently played with...

I wonder how to understand word "findings" in the context of nose picking.

This topic challenges my faith in god...
And while he's looking for research perhaps hell discover why mucos production is down regulated in female humans as i have never observed attractive women picking their noses. Perhaps this explains the cute little noses they have...

1. Can picking my nose actually make it bigger?

No, picking your nose does not physically make your nose bigger. The size and shape of your nose are determined by genetics and bone structure.

2. Will picking my nose too much cause permanent damage?

Picking your nose excessively can cause damage to the delicate tissues inside your nose, leading to nosebleeds, infections, and scarring. However, these effects are typically temporary and can be avoided by practicing good hygiene and using proper nose picking techniques.

3. Is it bad to pick my nose if I have a cold or allergies?

Picking your nose when you have a cold or allergies may provide temporary relief, but it can also introduce bacteria or irritants into your nasal passages, making your symptoms worse. It's best to use tissues or a saline nasal spray to clear your nose instead.

4. Can nose picking lead to a deviated septum?

Nose picking can irritate and damage the septum, the thin wall that separates the left and right nostrils. However, this is not a common cause of a deviated septum. Most often, a deviated septum is caused by genetics or a previous injury to the nose.

5. Is there a proper way to pick my nose?

If you must pick your nose, it's important to do it gently and with clean hands. Avoid using sharp objects or excessive force, which can cause damage. It's also important to wash your hands before and after picking your nose to prevent the spread of bacteria.