Pickup and review textbook / material?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good calculus textbook for self-study. The individual has been using Stewart's Multivariable Calculus: Concepts and Contexts for their studies and is considering purchasing a calculus textbook for quick review. Another participant recommends G.M. Fichtenholz's "Differential and Integral Calculus" as it is light on dry theorems and focuses on problem-solving techniques. They also suggest A.I. Kostrikin's "Linear Algebra" for further preparation in physics and mathematics. The participant recommends looking for Russian or German books as they often have hidden gems, and suggests learning the basics of Russian. The conversation ends with gratitude for the recommendations and a mention of taking Linear Algebra in the future.
Henry T
I'm currently studying from a rented Stewarts Multivariable Calculus: Concepts and Contexts however for single varibale calculus I used a lot of different sources for study Kahn, Mooculus and Pauls. I've been self studying calculus for for about a year and a half now. In regards to moving to other mathematics topics soon I've been looking into purchasing a calculus textbook (both single and multivariable) that I can pick up and review from pretty quickly incase I forget a theorem, definition, etc. Stewarts Calculus seems great and I am familiar with the "feel" of the textbook however is there something out there better suited for review or autodidacts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can recommend G.M. Fichtenholz "Differential and Integral Calculus", volumes 1 and 2 should cover all of the material you talk about. It's fairly unheard of outside of the post-Soviet countries, but after being exposed to both sides (USA/UK and Continental Europe/Russia) I am recommending it to everyone. It is very light on dry theorems and puts emphasis on technique an walking you through the problems, not unlike a tutor or good TA. Complemented with something like Rudin or similar rigorous book it is the fullest to my knowledge course for both students and autodidacts.

DevacDave said:
I can recommend G.M. Fichtenholz "Differential and Integral Calculus", volumes 1 and 2 should cover all of the material you talk about. It's fairly unheard of outside of the post-Soviet countries, but after being exposed to both sides (USA/UK and Continental Europe/Russia) I am recommending it to everyone. It is very light on dry theorems and puts emphasis on technique an walking you through the problems, not unlike a tutor or good TA. Complemented with something like Rudin or similar rigorous book it is the fullest to my knowledge course for both students and autodidacts.
Thanks for the guidance! I'll look into these! Is Stewart a horrid textbook though? I've heard that quite often but I don't find it terrible. I'm planning to be a physics major and the textbook seems adequate for a high school level.

Henry T said:
Is Stewart a horrid textbook though?

To be frank with you, I don't recall having any strong feelings toward it, only that I have had it borrowed from a library for a while. It likely means that it was rather bland and mediocre or I just found something much better for my taste.

After thinking a bit more, I can add a recommendation though: A.I. Kostrikin "Linear Algebra" comes in two variants. One is a single book geared toward physicists and another is a three volume set that is pretty much my favourite set on the subject. Plus there is a very big problems set for it, something that I have never managed to find in USA (student exchange). I'll admit, it may be a bit above high school level but a great thing to have in mind after getting some more preparation. Linear algebra is pretty much essential in modern physics and applied maths, so it would be wise to spend some time on it.

In general, I would try to look for translated Russian books (I can give you more starting points if you would like that) and maybe try to learn bare-bones basics of Russian language anyway. It's by far the most optional step, but most people in USA/UK don't even have a clue about some of the gems that were never translated or popularised. Same thing with German, but to a lesser extent. Give me some more ideas on what you would like and I can find you some more positions, if you are multilingual feel free to add that as well.

Sorry for this 'west does not know how to write' vibe, entirely not what I want to convey. But most of my favourite undergrad-level books are Russian, German and Polish, something that I don't hide. Graduate level is by far dominated by western publishers as far as my favourite books go.

DevacDave said:
To be frank with you, I don't recall having any strong feelings toward it, only that I have had it borrowed from a library for a while. It likely means that it was rather bland and mediocre or I just found something much better for my taste.

After thinking a bit more, I can add a recommendation though: A.I. Kostrikin "Linear Algebra" comes in two variants. One is a single book geared toward physicists and another is a three volume set that is pretty much my favourite set on the subject. Plus there is a very big problems set for it, something that I have never managed to find in USA (student exchange). I'll admit, it may be a bit above high school level but a great thing to have in mind after getting some more preparation. Linear algebra is pretty much essential in modern physics and applied maths, so it would be wise to spend some time on it.

In general, I would try to look for translated Russian books (I can give you more starting points if you would like that) and maybe try to learn bare-bones basics of Russian language anyway. It's by far the most optional step, but most people in USA/UK don't even have a clue about some of the gems that were never translated or popularised. Same thing with German, but to a lesser extent. Give me some more ideas on what you would like and I can find you some more positions, if you are multilingual feel free to add that as well.

Sorry for this 'west does not know how to write' vibe, entirely not what I want to convey. But most of my favourite undergrad-level books are Russian, German and Polish, something that I don't hide. Graduate level is by far dominated by western publishers as far as my favourite books go.
Thanks for all your help, this is fantastic. I'm taking Linear Algebra next so I'll definitely look at Kostrikin before I make a decision. I don't think I'll be learning Russian anytime soon (no harsh feeling I'm just horrific with language my brain isn't built for it). I do agree that the 'west does not know how to write" a lot of textbooks I've looked over have controversy on how good they are. Thanks again for all your help!

Likes DevacDave
Henry T said:
Thanks for all your help, this is fantastic. I'm taking Linear Algebra next so I'll definitely look at Kostrikin before I make a decision. I don't think I'll be learning Russian anytime soon (no harsh feeling I'm just horrific with language my brain isn't built for it). I do agree that the 'west does not know how to write" a lot of textbooks I've looked over have controversy on how good they are. Thanks again for all your help!

No problem, especially in regard to languages. I honestly know only enough to work through some of the books that never got translated and would not dare to start a conversation in Russian ;). But here are some of the authors who wrote (at least in my opinion) mostly gems:

Vladimir I. Arnold ("Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics" is my textbook of choice for classical mechanics, available in English courtesy of Springer)
Walter Thirring (author of four-volume course on Mathematical Physics, English translation is widely available)
Walter Greiner (his series in theoretical physics is pretty much Lew Landau's Course in Theoretical Physics written in a light tone of Griffths textbooks, German original, all or almost all got translated to English)
Krzysztof Maurin (Polish original, translated to English. Very challenging three-volume Calculus course, standard in Polish physics curriculum until recently if I've had my sources correctly. To be honest, I would fear and respect equally anyone who went through it straight after high school)
Helena Rasiowa (Another Polish author, main book I know of hers is "Mathematics of Metamathematics". In my opinion THE book on modern set theory and abstract algebra)

If you would like something more, feel free to badger me here or via private messages. I'm happy to give some guidance or try to add something more your needs :D.

EDIT: Maybe to note for future reference, these are just my personal picks. They are not without their faults, some have rather old-fashioned notation (Maurin and Rasiowa, originals are from 1950's/1960's if I'm not mistaken) or tend to have serious examples/problems deficiency (Arnold, although Kotkin and Serbo problem set for classical mechanics, if possible to get in USA, is massively alleviating this problem). In addition, most of the books by the above authors are assumed to be on a graduate level by western publishers. That last point is largely a result of few last chapters being too advanced even on senior undergraduate honours courses… while having the rest of the book largely viable below this point. "Mathematics of Metamathematics" has a reputation (or so I was told by my Polish friend) of being a book that can be just as challenging to a high school student wanting to learn more and to a maths Ph.D who picks it to get some insights to a more advanced proof. It is wise to give a look to the bibliography and other references while reading and look for an errata in case of older editions.

On the other hand, same points apply to Feynman's Lectures in Physics, so it's not worth to stress over it ;).

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of a pickup and review textbook or material?

A pickup and review textbook or material is designed to help students quickly and efficiently review important concepts and information from a course or subject. It serves as a condensed version of a larger textbook or material, making it easier for students to review and retain key information.

2. How is a pickup and review textbook or material different from a regular textbook?

A pickup and review textbook or material is usually much shorter and more concise than a regular textbook. It focuses on summarizing the most important information rather than providing in-depth explanations and examples. It is also often organized in a way that is easier for students to quickly find and review specific topics or concepts.

3. When should I use a pickup and review textbook or material?

A pickup and review textbook or material can be useful in a variety of situations. It can be helpful for students who are preparing for exams, need a quick refresher on a subject, or are struggling with a particular topic. It can also be useful for instructors who want to provide their students with a condensed review of key concepts.

4. How do I know if a pickup and review textbook or material is reliable?

When choosing a pickup and review textbook or material, it's important to look for reputable sources and authors. You can also check reviews from other students or instructors to see if the material is accurate and helpful. Additionally, make sure the material covers the topics and concepts you need to review.

5. Can a pickup and review textbook or material replace a regular textbook?

No, a pickup and review textbook or material should not be used as a replacement for a regular textbook. It is meant to supplement and reinforce the information from a regular textbook, not serve as the main source of information. It is important to use a variety of resources, including a regular textbook, to fully understand and master a subject.