What's a good calculus textbook?

In summary: Are the epsilon-delta proofs just generally weak in most calculus books? I though Thomas' Early Transcendentals didn't do so well explaining them.I'm not sure if you're looking for a specific book, but I would say that yes, the epsilon-delta proofs can be a bit weak in most calculus books. However, I think Thomas' Early Transcendentals does a better job of explaining them.
johnnyies
What's a good calculus textbook? Especially for self study. I've narrowed things down to James Stewart's Calculus and Larson's Calculus with Analytic Geometry.

Does anyone know if Michael Spivak's Calculus is only single variable, or does it include multivariable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Michael Spivak's Calculus is an advanced book, more of an introduction to analysis textbook.

I'm currently using Larson's Calculus for my AP Calculus class, and it's not bad. If it boils down to Stewart vs. Larson, I'll go with Larson.

Spivak's Calculus covers only single variable calculus (but indeed at a higher, more theoretical level than a typical introduction).

thrill3rnit3 said:
Michael Spivak's Calculus is an advanced book, more of an introduction to analysis textbook.

I'm currently using Larson's Calculus for my AP Calculus class, and it's not bad. If it boils down to Stewart vs. Larson, I'll go with Larson.

Are you using Larson's Calculus with Analytic Geometry?

Anyways, how is Spivak's and Courant's texts compared to Larson or Stewart?

johnnyies said:
Are you using Larson's Calculus with Analytic Geometry?

Yes I am.

johnnyies said:
Anyways, how is Spivak's and Courant's texts compared to Larson or Stewart?

They're not even comparable. Larson and Stewart are general calculus books, aimed to teach the techniques and the applications of calculus.

Meanwhile, Spivak's and Courant's texts take it a step further - they delve into the theory side of things.

If you're just beginning to learn calculus, don't bother with Spivak's and Courant's just yet.

If by "Larson", you mean the Larson & Hostetler book on Calculus with Analytic Geometry, this is a good book. The weak topics are the epsilon-delta limit proofs and the study on continuity; otherwise should be a good book. Reasonable to learn from, for a beginner who wants to have concept understanding and learn to apply Calculus.

symbolipoint said:
If by "Larson", you mean the Larson & Hostetler book on Calculus with Analytic Geometry, this is a good book. The weak topics are the epsilon-delta limit proofs and the study on continuity; otherwise should be a good book. Reasonable to learn from, for a beginner who wants to have concept understanding and learn to apply Calculus.

Are the epsilon-delta proofs just generally weak in most calculus books? I though Thomas' Early Transcendentals didn't do so well explaining them.

1. What are the key features to look for in a good calculus textbook?

A good calculus textbook should have clear and concise explanations, plenty of examples and practice problems, and a variety of real-world applications. It should also have a good balance between theory and computation, and provide helpful resources such as online access to supplementary materials.

2. How important is the author's expertise in choosing a calculus textbook?

The author's expertise is crucial in choosing a calculus textbook. Look for textbooks written by established mathematicians or educators who have a strong background in teaching calculus. This ensures that the material is accurate, well-organized, and presented in a way that is easy for students to understand.

3. Is it necessary to have a calculus background to understand the textbook?

While prior knowledge of calculus can be helpful, a good calculus textbook should be accessible to students with little to no background in the subject. Look for textbooks that provide a thorough review of precalculus topics and build upon them to introduce calculus concepts.

4. How important is the layout and design of a calculus textbook?

The layout and design of a calculus textbook can greatly impact a student's learning experience. Look for textbooks with clear and organized chapters, visually appealing diagrams and graphs, and a user-friendly format. This can help students stay engaged and understand the material better.

5. Are there any specific calculus textbooks that are highly recommended by educators?

Yes, there are several calculus textbooks that are highly recommended by educators, such as "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Thomas' Calculus" by George B. Thomas Jr., and "Calculus" by Michael Spivak. It is important to do research and read reviews to find the textbook that best fits your learning style and needs.