Pierced Glasses: Minimalist Eyewear Since 1840

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, these Pierced Glasses are a minimalist eyewear that clips onto your nose. They use rare Earth magnets to hold them on, and don't get rid of the bridge pieces; they let the lenses sit on your nose and take the actual weight of the lenses. James Sooy and Oliver Gibson came up with the idea. The glasses are available online, but are not marketable. The risk for cellulitis that could lead to menengitis is too high, and the glasses are not popular. People who wear them have 20/15 vision in both eyes. They've already lost one pair.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Would you wear these?
James Sooy and Oliver Gibson have come up with Pierced Glasses - the most minimalist eyewear since the Pince-nez glasses that clip onto your nose was invented in the 1840's.

Here's the step-by-step:

Get pierced - an internally-threaded barbell that goes through the skin above the bridge of your nose
-Use a tabletop mill to cut the L-shaped metal pieces that screw onto the barbell
-Attach rare Earth magnets to the glasses; these hold the glasses on.
-Don't get rid of the bridge pieces; they let the lenses sit on your nose and take the actual weight of the lenses.
http://www.livescience.com/images/060522_pglassesA_03.jpg
http://www.livescience.com/scienceoffiction/060522_pierce_glasses.html
A little "cyber" for my tastes, but I think it could catch on here in L.A. There are a lot of people who walk around with a cellphone strapped to the ear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
no no no no no no no

C'mon, Pengwuino. These would be cute on you. Come here - let me pierce your beak. It won't hurt, I promise.

It would be very tragic if that person were to unwittingly get an MRI with those rare Earth magnets in their nose... :uhh:

By the way, this is the worst commercial product ever invented, and it is completely unmarketable. I'd pick ordinary, "inconvenient" glasses over this horror, any day.

Rach3 said:
By the way, this is the worst commercial product ever invented, and it is completely unmarketable. I'd pick ordinary, "inconvenient" glasses over this horror, any day.

Come to California. Nothing is unmarketable in this literal human wasteland.

I looks like the sides of the bridge of his nose is redder than the rest, and the left side swollen.

I have to wear reading glasses now, which I find irritating. I do not like to wear them continually.

Oh, no, no, no.

Why not just bolt it to the bone?

I'd hate it if'n the glasses got snagged on a sweater or something.

Rach3 said:
By the way, this is the worst commercial product ever invented, and it is completely unmarketable.
Unmarketable ?? Didn't you know those rare Earth magnets get rid of sinuses, improve your vision and sharpen your mind, to say nothing about making you sexually irresistible ?

And once you've gotten used to breathing liquid nitrogen, you can do all those cool levitation demos on the tip of your nose. How neat would that be ?

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I have to wear reading glasses now, which I find irritating. I do not like to wear them continually.

I just bought my first pair last week. :grumpy: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I have had 20/15 vision in both eyes since my late teens... this sucks.

The risk for cellulitis that could lead to menengitis is WAY TOO HIGH to do that! :yuck:

Ivan Seeking said:
I just bought my first pair last week. :grumpy: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I have had 20/15 vision in both eyes since my late teens... this sucks.
Tell me about it. My distance vision is fine, but its basically 30-45 cm (12-18 inches) where I need reading glasses - for reading papers and the computer screen. The eyes are simply less flexible by the time someone reaches about 50. :biggrin:

I've already lost one pair. :grumpy: Left it somewhere in the boarding area at an airport just before I caught a late night flight from west to east coast. So now I have 4 pair. :yuck:

minimalist eyeware
Their called contacts. I wear gas-perm hard lenses (corrected vision is a bit better than 20/15). I use reading glasses in addition for close up work.

I you take my glasses and turn them backwards it also serves as a telescope.

NO[color="#black"]...[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Aiieeee!

Rach3 said:
It would be very tragic if that person were to unwittingly get an MRI with those rare Earth magnets in their nose... :uhh:
The magnets are actually in the glasses, not the piercing. Besides, yeah, they remove piercings before MRIs.

Chi Meson said:
Why not just bolt it to the bone?
I'd hate it if'n the glasses got snagged on a sweater or something.
Which is why they're only attached with magnets...

Gokul43201 said:
Didn't you know those rare Earth magnets get rid of sinuses...
Yeah, I had a rare Earth magnet once. Now I have no sinuses. :rofl:

Jeff Reid said:
Their called contacts. I wear gas-perm hard lenses
Ouuuuuch! I have dents in my car's hood from my fist, parked on the side of the highway, throwing myself around from the stabbing pain of a microscopic piece of dust under a hard lens. :eek:

Last edited:

1. What is the history behind "Pierced Glasses"?

"Pierced Glasses" is a type of minimalist eyewear that was first introduced in 1840. It was invented by Austrian optician, Joseph Rodenstock, who wanted to create a lightweight and comfortable alternative to traditional glasses frames. The design featured small holes or cutouts in the frame to reduce weight and improve comfort. This innovative design has remained popular for over 180 years and is still used in modern eyewear today.

2. How are "Pierced Glasses" different from traditional glasses?

"Pierced Glasses" have a distinct minimalist design that sets them apart from traditional glasses. They are typically made with lightweight materials and feature small holes or cutouts in the frame, making them more comfortable to wear. They also tend to have a sleeker and more modern look compared to traditional glasses.

3. Are "Pierced Glasses" suitable for all types of prescription lenses?

Yes, "Pierced Glasses" can accommodate a wide range of prescription lenses, including single vision, progressive, and bifocals. The design of the frames allows for easy customization and fitting of different lens types. However, it is always recommended to consult with an optician to ensure the best fit for your specific prescription needs.

4. Are there any drawbacks to wearing "Pierced Glasses"?

As with any type of glasses, there may be some drawbacks to wearing "Pierced Glasses". Some people may find the small holes or cutouts in the frame to be uncomfortable or distracting. Additionally, the minimalist design may not be suitable for those who prefer a more traditional or bold look. It is also important to note that "Pierced Glasses" may not be suitable for certain activities that require more durable eyewear.

5. Can "Pierced Glasses" be adjusted for a better fit?

Yes, "Pierced Glasses" can be adjusted for a better fit by an optician. The frames are typically made with flexible materials that can be bent or adjusted to fit the individual's face shape and size. This allows for a more comfortable and secure fit. However, it is important to have adjustments done by a professional to avoid damaging the frames.

Back