Piezoelectric actuator in water

In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to properly seal two piezoelectric actuators that will be placed in a thin circular ring and submerged in a tank of water. They have heard that using silicon to seal the actuators should not be a problem but are unsure of how to ensure that no water will come into contact with the actuators. They are open to suggestions and apologize for their English. One potential solution mentioned is using a rubber glove filled with oil and sealed with silicone to create a barrier between the conductive seawater and the piezoelectric elements. This allows for efficient transfer of acoustic energy while preventing shorts from the water.
Flout
Hi people,

I am in a project in my university and I need to paste two piezoelectric actuator in a thin circular ring but this ring will stay inside a tank filled with water.

Will I have any problem in put this actuator in contact with water? It will be paste in the ring and connected in a wire that is connected with a function generator and power amplifier.

I heard that's not a problem and I have only to seal with silicon but if this is true, how can I seal completely the actuator as no water enter in contact with the piezoeletric actuator?

Accept more suggestions.

Sorry for my english. ;s

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is an old technique for testing piezoelectric ceramic elements in seawater. The wires are soldered onto the element, then placed inside a rubber glove and filled with oil (vegetable or other). Then the glove wrist section is tied off tightly and sealed with RTV silicone sealant around the wires. Then you can dip it into the ocean and expect no shorts from the conductive seawater. Best of all, there is a good impedance match between the oil and water and the rubber is so thin and flexible that most of the acoustic energy gets from the piezo to the water and also, the reverse!

1. What is a piezoelectric actuator in water?

A piezoelectric actuator in water is a device that uses the piezoelectric effect to generate motion in water. This effect is the ability of certain materials, such as crystals or ceramics, to generate an electrical charge when subjected to mechanical stress.

2. How does a piezoelectric actuator work in water?

A piezoelectric actuator works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. When an electrical current is applied to the actuator, it causes the piezoelectric material to vibrate, which creates a pressure wave in the surrounding water. This pressure wave then propels the actuator forward, allowing it to move through the water.

3. What are the advantages of using a piezoelectric actuator in water?

There are several advantages to using a piezoelectric actuator in water. Firstly, they are highly efficient, as they convert almost all of the electrical energy into mechanical energy. They are also compact and lightweight, making them ideal for use in underwater applications. Additionally, piezoelectric actuators have a fast response time and can operate at low voltages, making them suitable for precise and delicate movements.

4. What are some common uses for piezoelectric actuators in water?

Piezoelectric actuators have a variety of uses in water, including in underwater robotics, sonar systems, and underwater sensors. They are also used in medical devices, such as ultrasonic imaging machines, where they can be used to create high-frequency sound waves in water.

5. What are some potential challenges or limitations of using piezoelectric actuators in water?

One potential challenge when using piezoelectric actuators in water is the buildup of gas bubbles on the surface of the actuator, which can interfere with its performance. Additionally, the high sensitivity of piezoelectric materials to temperature changes can affect their performance in water, as the temperature can vary significantly in different underwater environments. Lastly, the cost of piezoelectric materials can be a limitation for some applications.