Relays, transformers, actuators and a differential controller

In summary, the person is working on a unique project and looking for a way to control a mechanism using their current controller. They have a differential temperature controller that turns on and off a 120V relay switch to power a pump. They want to use the output of the relay to control an actuator motor that turns a valve. They suggest using a transformer and double throw relay, but are unsure if the actuator valve is designed for constant 24V or if the 24V should be cut after the valve turns. They are looking for ideas, such as using limit switches.
nlaham
I have a uniquie project I am working on and was wondering if someone could tell me how it would be possible to control a mechanism using my current controller.

Right now I have a differential temperature controller that uses two sensor probes and turns on and off a 120V relay switch if the conditions are met. The output is normally used to provide power or cut power to a pump, but I want to use the output for something a little more complicated if possible.

I have an actuator motor that turns a valve. When supplied with 24VAC it will activate the motor. When supplied current in the other direction, it turns back to the original position.

How can I use the output of the 120V relay to turn the valve when the controller outputs power, and turn the valve back when the controller cuts power.

I thought if I use a transformer to provide the valve 24V to a double throw relay, and have my relay coil wired to the 120V output. Then when I give power to the relay, I have 24V in one direction, and when I lose power to the relay, I have power in the other direction. Only problem is, then the actuator valve is always drawing 24V. I'm not sure if it is designed for this, or if I'm supposed to cut the 24V after the valve turns.

Any ideas? I am pretty bad at electrical design.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could use a couple of Limit Switches

http://www.ustudy.in/sites/default/files/limit_switch.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are relays and what is their function?

Relays are electrical switches that are used to control the flow of electricity to a specific circuit or component. They work by using an electromagnet to open and close a switch, allowing or stopping the flow of electricity. They are commonly used in industrial and automotive applications to control high-powered devices.

2. What is the purpose of a transformer?

A transformer is a device that is used to transfer electrical energy between two or more circuits. It works by using electromagnetic induction to convert high-voltage, low-current electricity into low-voltage, high-current electricity or vice versa. Transformers are commonly used in power distribution systems to step-up or step-down voltage levels for different applications.

3. What are actuators and how do they work?

Actuators are devices that are used to convert electrical energy into mechanical motion. They are often used in automation and control systems to move or control various components. Actuators can work using various mechanisms such as hydraulic, pneumatic, or electric motors.

4. What is a differential controller and when is it used?

A differential controller is a type of electronic controller that is used to compare two input signals and generate an output based on the difference between them. It is commonly used in systems that require precise control, such as temperature or pressure control, to maintain a specific difference between two variables.

5. How are relays, transformers, actuators, and a differential controller related?

These components are often used together in a variety of control systems. For example, relays can be used to control the flow of electricity to a transformer, which then steps up or down the voltage for an actuator to use. The differential controller can then compare the output of the actuator and adjust it as needed, creating a closed-loop control system.