Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Piezoelectric Circuit Help

1. Mar 15, 2016 #1
    Hi, I am having trouble implementing a circuit diagram onto a breadboard. The circuit involves a piezoelectric ceramic, which when pressure is applied, it should create enough power to activate 9V and light up an Led for a second. When I put the circuit together on the breadboard, to the best of my ability, the LED was already lit by the battery and nothing happened when pressure was applied to the piezo. Here is the link for the circuit diagram: http://circuitswiring.com/trigger-555-monostable-circuit-using-the-piezo-transducers/

I have attached the photos of the circuit below. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2016 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

I cannot see the resistor from the piezoelectric ceramic to V+, but it has to be very large (at least 1MΩ). Here is a circuit diagram I found:
    upload_2016-3-15_7-24-44.jpeg

4. Mar 15, 2016 #3
    I tried the 1M Ohm resister and the same issue occurred.

For the circuit you suggested. Where would the power, that I am using the piezoelectric to activate, connect?

Thanks!

5. Mar 16, 2016 #4

Svein

Science Advisor

The output pin (pin 6) of the LM108 has an amplified version of the signal from the transducer. Measure it and if it is large enough, use it to drive a power MOSFET or something.

6. Mar 17, 2016 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you put it here ?

555piezo.jpg

7. Mar 18, 2016 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted