Piezoelectric effect- tube scanner

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a ztube scanner for a specific displacement and voltage. The equation used for this is rearranged to find the value of ΔL/V, and the conversation then moves on to discussing realistic values for the piezo tube diameter and the material parameters d31 and d33. It is mentioned that these parameters are specific to the material being used and must be known in order to solve the equation.
solas99
Hi,

i have been working on this problem for a while. i just need some guidance.

the question is: design a ztube scanner suitable for displacing ±1 micron displacement at 200V.

i am using this equation:

ΔL=([d]_{}[/31]×V×L)/t
ΔL=(d31 ×L×V)/t

ΔL=change in length = 1micron
d31=piezo strain constant (usually in pico range [10]^{}[/-12]
V=applied voltage
L=length
t=thickness (for a tube-- Outer diameter - inner diameter (OD-ID))

Rearranging the equation:

[ΔL]\frac{}{}[/V]=[L]\frac{}{}[/t×[d]_{}[/31]]

ΔL/V= L/(d×d31)

∴[ΔL]\frac{}{}[/V]=1micron/200=5nm/v

Im currently using this link.
http://www.physikinstrumente.com/en/products/prdetail.php?sortnr=400800.00

I am trying to solve it by,
choosing V=200V
ΔL= 1micron

∴[ΔL]\frac{}{}[/V]=
ΔL/V=1micron/200=5nm/v

how do i proceed after this step? i tried picking a value for [d]_{}[/31]=1.27[10]^{}[/-12]
but then i got stuck on picking realistic diameters for the piezo tube.

I am also wondering is the d31 chosen arbitrary, or its specific to the material being used, and so is it a parameter i can't control in the equation.
Usually d31 is given in pico scale.
L=1-70mm
Max diameter__ OD=78mm, ID=70mm
MIn diameter__ OD=2mm, ID0.8mm
d31= ?

i might be missunderstanding the question or equation.

thnks

Physics news on Phys.org
d31 (and d33) are material parameters. You have to know the value for the material that you are using.

1. What is the piezoelectric effect?

The piezoelectric effect is the ability of certain materials to generate an electric charge in response to applied mechanical stress, or conversely, to deform in response to an applied electric field. This phenomenon was first discovered by Pierre and Jacques Curie in 1880.

2. How does the tube scanner utilize the piezoelectric effect?

The piezoelectric effect is utilized in tube scanners by embedding piezoelectric crystals, such as lead zirconate titanate (PZT), into the tube walls. When an electric voltage is applied to these crystals, they expand and contract, causing the tube to vibrate and emit ultrasonic waves.

3. What is the purpose of using a tube scanner?

Tube scanners are commonly used in non-destructive testing (NDT) to detect flaws or defects in materials without causing damage. The ultrasonic waves emitted by the tube scanner can penetrate through solid materials and produce an image of the internal structure, allowing for inspection and evaluation of the material's integrity.

4. What are the advantages of using a piezoelectric tube scanner?

Piezoelectric tube scanners have several advantages over other NDT methods. They are highly sensitive and can detect very small defects, have a wide range of frequencies for different materials, and can be used for both surface and subsurface inspections. They are also portable and can be used in various environments and orientations.

5. Are there any limitations to the piezoelectric tube scanner?

While piezoelectric tube scanners have many advantages, they also have some limitations. The resolution of the images produced may be limited by the size and shape of the crystals, and the scanning speed may be slower compared to other methods. Additionally, the tube walls must be made of a material that can support the embedding of piezoelectric crystals.