1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pillow block help

1. Aug 13, 2008 #1

taylaron

Gold Member

Hey,
    I'm having some problems regarding what type of pillow block to use to support a 2'' diameter black iron pipe vertically, yet letting it spin on the pillow block.

I'm aware that the weight applied to a pillow blocks is usually parallel to the mounting surface (the way one would usually use a ball bearing). im wondering if there is a pillow block out there that can support 100-150lbs, but on the wrong axis.
    I plan to mount the rod on the pillow block using a collar above the pillow block (butting against it)

I'm sorry if the description is hard to understand but its also difficult to describe.

drawing attached

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2008 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Angular contact bearings (balls captured in deep races) can handle considerable axial load as well as radial load. A 150 pound axial load on an angular contact bearing with a 2" ID would be near the MINIMUM load you'd want on the bearing. Too little load and bearings can skid, wearing out faster.

If you're mounting on a pipe however, you may need to consider how the clamp is going to be affected. Normally, these surfaces are fairly high tolerance, so the natural surface of a pipe wouldn't suffice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?