Pillow Block for Vertical Iron Pipe Support

• Thread starter taylaron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of a pillow block to support a 2'' diameter black iron pipe in a vertical position while allowing it to spin. The individual is wondering if there is a pillow block that can support 100-150lbs on the wrong axis. Another possible solution mentioned is using an angular contact bearing, which can handle both radial and axial loads. However, there may be concerns with the clamp and the surface of the pipe.
taylaron
Gold Member
Hey,
I'm having some problems regarding what type of pillow block to use to support a 2'' diameter black iron pipe vertically, yet letting it spin on the pillow block.

I'm aware that the weight applied to a pillow blocks is usually parallel to the mounting surface (the way one would usually use a ball bearing). I am wondering if there is a pillow block out there that can support 100-150lbs, but on the wrong axis.
I plan to mount the rod on the pillow block using a collar above the pillow block (butting against it)

I'm sorry if the description is hard to understand but its also difficult to describe.

drawing attached

Attachments

• pillow block.jpg
    pillow block.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 375
Engineering news on Phys.org
Angular contact bearings (balls captured in deep races) can handle considerable axial load as well as radial load. A 150 pound axial load on an angular contact bearing with a 2" ID would be near the MINIMUM load you'd want on the bearing. Too little load and bearings can skid, wearing out faster.

If you're mounting on a pipe however, you may need to consider how the clamp is going to be affected. Normally, these surfaces are fairly high tolerance, so the natural surface of a pipe wouldn't suffice.

What is a pillow block for vertical iron pipe support?

A pillow block for vertical iron pipe support is a type of bearing that is used to support a vertical iron pipe. It is typically made of metal and is designed to provide stability and reduce friction for the pipe.

Why is a pillow block necessary for vertical iron pipe support?

A pillow block is necessary for vertical iron pipe support because it helps to distribute the weight of the pipe evenly and prevents it from sagging or bending. It also reduces friction, which can cause wear and tear on the pipe over time.

What are the different types of pillow blocks for vertical iron pipe support?

There are several types of pillow blocks for vertical iron pipe support, including split, solid, and flanged. Split pillow blocks have a removable cap for easy installation and maintenance, solid pillow blocks are one solid piece, and flanged pillow blocks have a flange for mounting.

How do I choose the right pillow block for my vertical iron pipe support?

To choose the right pillow block for your vertical iron pipe support, you will need to consider factors such as the weight and size of the pipe, the load it will be supporting, and the environment it will be in. It is best to consult with a professional or refer to the manufacturer's guidelines for specific recommendations.

How do I install a pillow block for vertical iron pipe support?

The installation process for a pillow block will vary depending on the type and manufacturer. However, in general, you will need to secure the base of the pillow block to a stable surface, insert the shaft of the pipe into the bearing, and then secure the cap or flange to hold the pipe in place. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully to ensure proper installation and support.