Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planarity puzzle

1. Dec 22, 2005 #1

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just in case you have some time that isn't yet wasted. Has anyone else tried this puzzle? I took just over 20 minutes to do level 12, then it seems to get exponentially more difficult. It's much more fun replaying level 10 or 11.

http://www.planarity.net

Every now and then you find a puzzle/game that you were born to solve. I just wish I could do this for a job!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2005 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Wow, this is fun, although really hard to comprehend at times.

4. Dec 23, 2005 #3

*Kia*

Gold Member

I hated that game - I quit at level 3
    Steve completed level 30something then the guy moved servers and all his game history got lost and he lost heart in it.

5. Dec 23, 2005 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OMG
    30? I tried skipping to level 20, and I was overwhelmed. I couldn't even see the individual dots. My computer was too slow to comprehend moving the dots around. Evidently the top is open-ended, so there's no point in going any higher; it's much more fun staying at levels 10 or 11 and go for best time.

Edit:

I just checked to see what level 30 would be like. IT totally froze my machine at work. I'll be staying below 15 at least.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  6. Dec 23, 2005 #5
    What a waste of time! I did four levels, but there's no challenge to this puzzle, it's just repetitive mindless work. Level 30 has hundreds of dots, it would take half a day to work through it (just to physically drag the dots).

:grumpy:

7. Dec 23, 2005 #6
    I remember this was posted here over the summer and I got to level 27.... only to find out that while I was playing, the dude added a save game feature, so bassically I was still running the old version, unable to save!!!!!

:(

8. Dec 23, 2005 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Aw!

Still, I haven't (seriously) tried anything beyond level 15. After that point it isn't such fun. What I enjoy most is forming a 3D picture from the lines and envisioning a way to "flatten out" the pattern. Too many lines and I can't form the image and it loses the fun. levels 9--12 are perfect for me (best time for level 9 is 4:58).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?