Planck Function: Subbing c=λν - Insight Needed

In summary, the Planck Function is a mathematical equation that describes the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a blackbody at a given temperature. By substituting c=λν, the equation can be rewritten in terms of wavelength and frequency, providing a better understanding of how radiation intensity changes. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and has been applied to various objects and systems. The Planck Function is used in practical applications such as thermal imaging and astrophysics, as well as in the development of modern technologies.
Piano man
Expressing Planck's Law as a function of frequency, we have:
[tex]
I(\nu)=\frac{2h\nu^3}{c^2}\frac{1}{e^{\frac{h\nu}{kT}}-1}[/tex]
Expressing this in terms of wavelength, one should get
[tex]
I(\lambda)=\frac{2hc^2}{\lambda^5}\frac{1}{e^{\frac{hc}{\lambda kT}}-1}[/tex]

but I don't see how this is obvious by subbing in [tex] c=\lambda \nu[/tex]
Any insights?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember:

[tex]|I(\lambda)d\lambda| =|I(\nu)d\nu|[/tex]

and

[tex]d\lambda=-\frac{c}{\nu^2}d\nu[/tex]

What is the Planck Function?

The Planck Function, also known as the Planck radiation law, is a mathematical equation that describes the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a blackbody at a given temperature. It is named after physicist Max Planck, who first derived the equation in 1900.

What is the significance of substituting c=λν in the Planck Function?

Substituting c=λν in the Planck Function allows for the equation to be rewritten in terms of wavelength (λ) and frequency (ν), rather than energy (E) and temperature (T). This allows for a better understanding of how the intensity of radiation changes with wavelength and frequency.

How does the Planck Function relate to quantum mechanics?

The Planck Function is one of the fundamental equations in quantum mechanics, as it was derived to explain the spectral distribution of energy emitted by a blackbody at a given temperature. It was one of the first successful attempts to reconcile classical mechanics with the observations of atomic and subatomic particles.

Can the Planck Function be applied to objects other than blackbodies?

While the Planck Function was initially derived for blackbodies, it has since been applied to a wide range of objects and systems. This is because it accurately describes the spectrum of electromagnetic radiation emitted by any object that absorbs and emits radiation.

How is the Planck Function used in practical applications?

The Planck Function is used in a variety of practical applications, such as thermal imaging, remote sensing, and spectroscopy. It is also used in the field of astrophysics to study the emission of radiation from stars and galaxies. Additionally, the Planck Function is a key component in the development of modern technologies, such as solar cells and infrared cameras.