1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planck's distribution law

1. Aug 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Estimate the energy density between 499.5 and 499.6 nm emitted by a blackbody at a temperature of 2000 K. Compare to the classical value predicted by the Rayleigh-Jeans law.

2. Relevant equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_law

3. The attempt at a solution

now I know how to integrate the indefinite integral of the law by setting x = [itex]\frac{hc}{KλT}[/itex] (K = Boltzmann constant)

T = 2000K is substituted in and we use the same substitution for λ^5 of the equation.

However I do not understand how to numerically solve this with λ = 499.5 to 499.6, would we then substitute it to x = [itex]\frac{hc}{KλT}[/itex] and make x the new limits of integration?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

The fact that the wavelengths you are given are so close together suggests to me you just need to approximate the integral using

$$\int_{\lambda}^{\lambda+\Delta \lambda} d\lambda'~f(\lambda') \approx \Delta \lambda f(\lambda).$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook