Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane EM wave Euler's identity

1. Oct 24, 2014 #1
    For EM wave, magnetic and electrical components are in phase, meaning when E = 0, then B = 0.

Thus, I understand if it is written:

f(x,t) = A(cos(kx - wt) + icos(kx - wt))

Then why plane wave is always described:

f(x,t) = Aei(kx-wt) = A(cos(kx-wt) + isin(kx - wt))

Implying that Real and Imaginary components are not in phase, which is not the case?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2014 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Electric versus magnetic fields have nothing to do with real versus imaginary numbers. If you have a plane EM wave traveling in the z-direction, with the electric field parallel to the x-axis and the magnetic field parallel to the y-axis, then we have $$\vec E = E_0 \cos (kz - \omega t + \phi_0) \hat x \\
    \vec B = B_0 \cos (kz - \omega t + \phi_0) \hat y$$ where the unit vectors ##\hat x## and ##\hat y## give the directions of the fields.

It makes some mathematical manipulations easier if we write the oscillation using a complex exponential instead of an ordinary trig function: $$\vec E = E_0 e^{i(kz - \omega t + \phi_0)} \hat x = E_0 \left[ \cos(kz - \omega t + \phi_0) + i \sin (kz - \omega t + \phi_0) \right] \hat x \\ \vec B = B_0 e^{i(kz - \omega t + \phi_0)} \hat y = B_0 \left[ \cos(kz - \omega t + \phi_0) + i \sin (kz - \omega t + \phi_0) \right] \hat y$$ but in this case it is always understood that in the end we use only the real part of the final result of our calculations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook