1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planes. Find the equations of the planes in both cartesian and (vector) form.

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The plane that passes through the point (1, 6, 4) and contains the line
    x = 1 + 2t; y = 2 - 3t; z = 3 - t where t is an element of R

2. Relevant equations

x = 1 + 2t; y = 2 - 3t; z = 3 - t

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let L be the solution.
    L = (1,6,4) - ?

t = (x -1)/ 2 = (2-y)/3 = 3-z

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

These equations just represent the line that you are given. Instead of just throwing up a bunch of equations, say something about your thought process in finding the equation of the plane.

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3
    Well I tried making 2 vectors by using the 3 equations.
    I got
    vector x = t(2,-3,-1) = (1,2,3)

But the two vectors are meant to be s(0,-4,7) + t(-8,0,25) , where s and t are real numbers.

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This doesn't make any sense at all. First off, <1, 2, 3> is a vector from the origin to the point (1, 2, 3) on the line. Second, the vector t<2, -3, -1> = <2t, -3t, -t> is a vector that has the same direction as the line.

There is no value of t for which t<2, -3, -1> = <1, 2, 3>. For every value of t, these vectors point in different directions.
    Based on what you're showing is the answer, I don't believe that you have provided all of the information for this problem. If you know a point on a plane, and a line that goes through it, that is not enough information to determine the equation of a unique plane.

What is the complete statement of the problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook