Planet Gear Train: Find RPM of Gear 4 w/o Carrier

In summary, a planet gear train is a complex gear system that consists of a central sun gear surrounded by smaller planet gears and a larger ring gear. It works by transmitting power through the rotation of the planet gears. The RPM of Gear 4 without the carrier is important for understanding the gear system's performance and can be calculated using a specific formula. The RPM can be affected by factors such as the input gear's speed and direction, gear ratio, external forces, and the size of the gears.
Latios1314
Guys, I've just come across this question regarding planetary gear train.

I was asked to find the rpm of a gear within the train. but the solution given doesn't include the carrier speed within the calculations. I was asked to find the rpms to gear 4. The carrier is between 4 and 6.

What are the reasons that it is so?

Sorry that I couldn't show you guys the picture.

Engineering news on Phys.org
dude, what are you asking?

Related to Planet Gear Train: Find RPM of Gear 4 w/o Carrier

1. What is a planet gear train?

A planet gear train is a type of gear system that consists of a central gear, called a sun gear, surrounded by multiple smaller gears, called planet gears, which are held in place by a larger outer gear, called a ring gear. This combination of gears allows for complex gear ratios and increased torque.

2. How does a planet gear train work?

A planet gear train works by transmitting power from the input gear, or sun gear, to the output gear, or ring gear, through the rotation of the planet gears. As the sun gear rotates, it causes the planet gears to rotate around it, which in turn causes the ring gear to rotate.

3. What is the purpose of finding the RPM of Gear 4 without the carrier?

The purpose of finding the RPM of Gear 4 without the carrier is to determine the speed and direction of the output gear in a planet gear train. This information is important for understanding the overall performance and efficiency of the gear system.

4. How do you calculate the RPM of Gear 4 without the carrier?

The RPM of Gear 4 without the carrier can be calculated using the formula: RPM = (RPM of the sun gear * Number of teeth on the sun gear) / (Number of teeth on Gear 4 + Number of teeth on the sun gear). This formula takes into account the gear ratio and the number of teeth on each gear.

5. What factors can affect the RPM of Gear 4 without the carrier?

Several factors can affect the RPM of Gear 4 without the carrier, including the speed and direction of the input gear, the gear ratio, and any external forces or resistance acting on the gear system. The number of teeth and size of the gears can also impact the RPM calculation.