Planets, Meteors, and booster rockets space

In summary, an asteroid 5 km in diameter and mass 3.3x10^14 kg is approaching Earth at a speed of 20km/s and is 4 months away from direct contact. With the use of booster rockets and by applying a continuous sideways thrust, the asteroid can be moved just enough to miss Earth by 1km. By using kinematics equations, the necessary acceleration can be calculated, which will then allow for the determination of the required force to move the asteroid.

Homework Statement

An asteroid 5 km in diameter and mass 3.3x10^14 kg had been discovered moving towards Earth at a speed of 20km/s and is 4 months away from direct contact. Lukily there are booster rockets parked in space and in a day or so one can be attached to the asteroid. What cpntinuous sideways thrust must be applied to make it just miss the Earth of radius 6400 km . Ignore the grav. force of earth. Answer in N.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to do this question..It'd be great if u can get me started and help me through this question. Thanks alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
You wish to move the asteroid at right angles to its current motion. How far do you wish to move it in that direction, and how long do you have to do it in? What equations do you know relating distance, time and uniform acceleration?

okay so u need to move it so it just missses Earth 1km i guess.. and the time to do this is approximately 4 months.
but how would i find the amount of force

Since the constant thrust is applied continuously, it's just a constant acceleration problem (for the sideways motion...you can just ignore the towards Earth motion). For all of these problems, just list your givens and unknowns.

Given:

d = 6400 km + x

where "x" is some value required to clear the Earth. You have to take into account the non-zero size of the asteroid when deciding what x should be.

vi = 0 km/s (initially no sideways motion)

t = 4 months - 1 day

Unknowns

a = ?

Can you think of a kinematics equation that will allow you to solve your unknowns given your knowns?

Once you have the acceleration, you can find the force, right?

yes thanks a lot sir...i got the solution :) have a good day

1. What is the difference between a planet and a meteor?

A planet is a large celestial body that orbits around a star and has enough mass to be nearly spherical in shape. A meteor, on the other hand, is a small piece of debris that enters the Earth's atmosphere and burns up, creating a streak of light in the sky.

2. How do booster rockets help in space exploration?

Booster rockets provide the initial thrust needed to launch a spacecraft into orbit. They help to overcome Earth's gravity and propel the spacecraft into space. Once in space, booster rockets are also used to adjust the spacecraft's trajectory and speed.

3. What is the purpose of studying planets?

Studying planets helps us to understand the formation and evolution of our own planet, as well as other planets in our solar system and beyond. It also provides valuable insights into the potential for life on other planets and the possibility of human exploration and colonization of other worlds.

4. How are meteors formed?

Meteors are formed when small pieces of debris, such as dust or rocks, collide with the Earth's atmosphere. These pieces of debris are usually remnants from comets or asteroids and can range in size from a grain of sand to a boulder. As they enter the Earth's atmosphere, they heat up and create the bright streak of light known as a meteor.

5. What are some common elements found in booster rockets?

Some common elements found in booster rockets include liquid or solid propellants such as liquid hydrogen, liquid oxygen, and solid fuels like aluminum and ammonium perchlorate. Other important components include engines, guidance systems, and structural materials such as aluminum and titanium.