Plastic Bottle and Aluminum can crusher

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a plastic bottle and aluminum can crusher, with a necessary crushing force of 175-200lbf. The design is similar to a cold rolling process, but the calculations and relating it to the design are challenging. Specific issues include calculating the force of the drums on the can, the k value of the springs to compress at 175lbf, and the torque needed for the DC motors to power the rollers. Further information on unit conversions and measurements is also provided.
Narzu6425
I created a plastic bottle and aluminum can crusher. I researched and found out that my crusher should apply at least 175 lbf - 200lbf in order to crush the beverage container. My design idea is very similar to that of a cold rolling manufacturing process. Although I have research the cold rolling process and the calculations involved, I am still having trouble relating it to my design. As you can see from the attached image, the crusher will do a best effort attempt at crushing the article, if the force excedes that of the rollers then the springs attached (with a particular k value) will compress resulting in an increase in the gap between the rollers.

To clarify, my issues are...

Calculating the force of the drums on the can

Calculating the k value of the springs in order to allow them to only compress once the force of the rollers exceeds about 175 lbf

Calculating the torque needed out of a pair of DC motors in order to power the rollers

If you need more information please let me know and I will do the best I can to answer

Attachments

• crusher.png
    crusher.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 825
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, convert your units to SI units. I have no idea what a lbf is.

I apologize for the unit confusion, 175lbf = 778.44N, 200lbf = 889.64N. Also the diameter of the rollers is equal to .127meters with a length of .4064 meters. The gap between the rollers is equal to .019meters. Although the springs depicted are small, they will need to widen the gap from .019meters to about .0762meters.

What is a plastic bottle and aluminum can crusher?

A plastic bottle and aluminum can crusher is a device designed to compress and crush plastic bottles and aluminum cans in order to reduce their size for easier storage and recycling.

How does a plastic bottle and aluminum can crusher work?

The crusher uses mechanical force to crush the bottles and cans. A handle or lever is used to push down on the top of the crusher, causing a metal plate to compress the bottles or cans against a surface. This reduces their size and makes them easier to recycle.

What are the benefits of using a plastic bottle and aluminum can crusher?

Using a crusher can help to reduce the amount of space needed for storing bottles and cans, making it easier to transport them for recycling. It can also save time and effort compared to manually crushing each item.

Is it safe to use a plastic bottle and aluminum can crusher?

As long as the crusher is used properly and according to the manufacturer's instructions, it is generally safe to use. However, caution should be taken to avoid any potential injuries from the mechanical force of the crusher.

Can a plastic bottle and aluminum can crusher be used for all types of bottles and cans?

The design of the crusher may vary, so it is important to check the specifications to ensure that it is suitable for the types of bottles and cans you wish to crush. Some crushers may have limitations in terms of bottle or can size or material.