PLastic Surgery as a form of expression

In summary: Lacing" the wires make sure that they are not touching each other or the bike (since they can rust), now you can remove the safety wire (it is a pain to do it right so it does not cut the wire)Now you can remove the beak.In summary, this system uses two wires to keep the piece in place while it is being tightened. The wires are inserted from the back side and spun until they form a tight connection.
ricardo kuhn
"PLastic Surgery" as a form of expression

I ride Motorcycles a lot,,, I also crash motorcycle A lot... ussually my body do just fine but sadlly the bikes end up suffering a little more, so over the years I develope a varaity of ways to keep them running without replacing parts every time something breaks, one of my favorites is a way to Joing two or more plastic pieces on damage surfaces in a way that shows the "Battle Scares" in a proud way, as oppose to be ashame of the fact and try to hide them some how, plus is really strong flexible and for sure RE-CrAsHaBle.

yes,,I know how to use a plastic welder, but some of this plastics are Thermoset resins, so the welding will not work and many time I'm also uniting disimilar materials that will make welding very difult if not imposible, i also work making composites Airplanes before and I'm awere of the Exo and polisterm resin and all the wonderful carbon, spectra, kevlar clothes available, but i don't like to use them since they stick and they make a big mess...

anyway one day I crash one of my race bikes and I broke the "Windscreen" among a few other things
1298302-M.jpg

so i did some "Face lifting"
2080510-M.jpg

some how i preffer to fix things and BE PrOuD of my adventures
2080508-M-1.jpg

i also done the same for others wunded bikes.
12316605-M.jpg

many war veterans mension that they see similar sistems use in time of war to fix helicopter bubbles and airplane cockpits, I believe this sistem and also much better since does not relay on the tension at the end of the wire and each strand forms a "close loppe" on his own.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Now I'm going to try to explain how the sistem works,,, sorry about the Ingles I do know is pretty bad but this postings are kind of my "Homework" in my way to get better.

let see if i can explain this in a way that makes some sense.
let use a example maybe that way we can follow a procedure and also make it a little more fun,,,

one day I let my wonderful friend Ingrid ride my bike.
28688348-M-1.jpg

everything was fine until we (i was in the back) got to a decreasing radius turn and to complete Upwards 180 deggre turn (I have trouble on that turn before my self)

Yeah Ingrid got scare and end up releasing the clutch a little to fast, needless so say the big monster stand up on the rear wheel and end up climping the side on a small hill (about 15 feet) the bike was Totally FUBAR (broken mirror, bend the front subframe, broke turn signals, etc) but then again is being in Fubar state for a long time so no big deal.

Lady ingrid got a few scares and I got a big bubbbu on my butt since I land on it from about 5 feet high when the bike became vertical
30216104-M-1.jpg

anyway after a few hours of contemplation and playing "Nutty Nurse" i got back to fix the bike, the "Beak" of my GS (the one with the bike rack) was broken, well to be exact the repair i did before (from another crash) fail (I do that on porpuse, so i can repair it again and again) is kind of a "FUSE" concept, if the forces are far to great is better for the pieces to become undone and oppose to crack somewere else even more.

well let go to work, the beak of the motorcycle(upper fender/airscoop on the GS1100) took the impact really well, so the only thing i need to do is to cut the safety wire and "Re-lace" it again...

I ussually make holes at about 1/4' of a inch apart and about a 1/4' from the crack, i also try to make the holes on the other side aling so everything is simetrical.

this picture is from another bike but maybe will show how is done much better.

First thing is to cut a strand of wire about two feet long (much more than that is just a pain because it gets entangle to easy) of the thinnest you can find (sorry I don't remenber the gauge) I start by I inserting the wire from the "Back side" and then chose one of the holes (does not really matter what side) to start the spin, i ussually do five turns (by hand, no need for pliers) that is about the right amount of tension for a 1/4" distance, after i finish spining the two wires I procede to the next hole on the same side, I insert one of the two wires (I try to keep it even so i don't end up with one wire much longer than the other one) to go into the "back side" and the other one goes to the opossite side on the surface were i start the process again on the oposite side so i get this "zig-zag" look

another detail so you can see the height a little better, you want to keep the repair as close to the surface as posible so does not get entangle with stuff (not like is anything spyke or anything.)

this is the underside of the beak ( same as any other repair) you can see that is no strands of safety wire to cut your fingers and get "Velcro" to your gloves, cleaning rags and clothes) and in fact it looks like a fancy shoe lace work (you can also select to use this as the visible side) sometimes if the crack is to long i will use more than one piece of wire and i simply cover the extra "spyke" wire with more lacing.

this is a corner detail of the repair, maybe the most complicated part of the repair since you have two rathios changing in distance, oh well..

here is the beak fix and ready to be reinstall

repair and install on the bike and ready to be crash again hopefully by some Amazon woman so i can "Play Doctor" again.

I hope this is suffient for you fellow Geeks to understand a very basic Mecanic concept and make this into a proper tutorial.

Last edited:
Once again, very cool stuff. I wish my hernia surgeon had known about that kind of stitchwork. :biggrin:

Danger said:
Once again, very cool stuff. I wish my hernia surgeon had known about that kind of stitchwork. :biggrin:

Thanks amigo...
i have much more, but I get kind of Bored if people don't really participate..

Hey Ricardo, Gotta agree, your posts are intersting, and the pics are as unique as your accent. Make yourself at home, the beer's in the fridge.

1. What is plastic surgery as a form of expression?

Plastic surgery as a form of expression refers to the use of surgical procedures to alter one's physical appearance in order to convey a certain image or message. This can include changing the size or shape of body parts, such as the nose or breasts, or modifying facial features to achieve a desired look.

2. Is plastic surgery a common form of expression?

While plastic surgery has become more popular in recent years, it is still not considered a common form of expression. It is often seen as a more extreme or drastic way to change one's appearance compared to other forms of expression, such as fashion or makeup.

3. Can plastic surgery be used to express one's identity?

Yes, plastic surgery can be used as a means of self-expression and can be a way for individuals to feel more confident and comfortable in their own skin. For some, altering their physical appearance through plastic surgery can help them better align with their internal sense of self.

4. What are the potential risks and complications of plastic surgery as a form of expression?

As with any surgical procedure, there are potential risks and complications associated with plastic surgery. These can include infection, scarring, and adverse reactions to anesthesia. It is important to carefully research and choose a reputable and experienced plastic surgeon to minimize these risks.

5. What are some examples of plastic surgery being used as a form of expression?

There are many examples of plastic surgery being used as a form of expression, including celebrities and public figures who have openly discussed their procedures. Some common examples include breast augmentation, nose reshaping, and facial fillers or botox injections. However, it is important to note that plastic surgery can also be used for reconstructive purposes, such as after an injury or illness, and may not always be solely for expressive purposes.