Plastics to tolerate -300F for liquid nitrogen generation

In summary, if you are using cryogenic tubing you might want to consider using a metal tube or armoured tube. Polypropylene is not a good choice for cryogenic tubing, as it will not withstand the cold temperatures. Teflon should be ok, but make sure to attach it to something to avoid it from vibrating.
imsmooth
Maybe someone here will have an idea where I can get some information. I am planning on making liquid nitrogen from air and will need to regenerate waste gas. This gas will be very cold (-300F) and will get transported through some tubing system. Is anyone aware of any plastic tubing material that will tolerate these temperatures? Polycarbonate is the best I have found so far, but it is not good enough.

Otherwise, I will have to use metal tubing.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm thinking teflon tubing might work. Any thoughts?

If you need some plasticity, anything that won't turn brittle at these temperatures will be either liquid or extremely soft at room temperatures. Any basic materials you can find to work with will be extremely brittle at -300°F. I would bet on metals being more suitable than plastics, as they tend to have a better range of temperatures. There are some alloys that are designed for low temperatures that aren't prohibitively soft at room temperatures to be worked with.

imsmooth said:
Maybe someone here will have an idea where I can get some information. I am planning on making liquid nitrogen from air and will need to regenerate waste gas. This gas will be very cold (-300F) and will get transported through some tubing system. Is anyone aware of any plastic tubing material that will tolerate these temperatures? Polycarbonate is the best I have found so far, but it is not good enough.

Otherwise, I will have to use metal tubing.

Cryogenic delivery hoses are typically multilayer metal devices:

http://www.sigmasystems.com/accessories-tp/hoses/cryo-hoses.htm

The storage vials I use are made of polypropylene, but I think that material would be a poor choice for cryogenic tubing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teflon should be ok. Just make sure you attach it to something so that it can't vibrate (which it will do if you pump LN2 through it) since this will cause it to eventually break. You will NOT be able to bend the tube once it is cold without breaking it, but I hope you've already realized that (If you want a bendable tube you need something metallic).
Also, use an armoured tube if you can find it. It will reduce the chance of the tube exploding. Note my choice of words, when an plastic tube at 77K bursts it does so in quite an spectacular fashion resulting it lots of small bits of plastic (I am speaking from experience here).
Note also that a tube can work really well for years and then suddenly fail, I would not recommend being too close to an uprotected tube (I've had a LN2 shower once when a tube burst, I don't recommend it).

1. What are the main materials used in creating plastics that can tolerate -300F for liquid nitrogen generation?

The most commonly used materials in creating plastics that can tolerate extreme temperatures, such as -300F for liquid nitrogen generation, are fluoropolymers, polyamides, and polyimides.

2. How are these plastics able to withstand such low temperatures?

These plastics are able to withstand extreme temperatures due to their unique chemical structure and molecular bonds, which allow them to maintain their physical properties even at very low temperatures.

3. Are there any safety concerns associated with using these plastics for liquid nitrogen generation?

No, these plastics are specifically designed to be safe for use with liquid nitrogen. They are resistant to thermal shock and can withstand the extreme temperature changes associated with working with liquid nitrogen.

4. Can these plastics be used for other applications besides liquid nitrogen generation?

Yes, these plastics have a wide range of applications due to their ability to withstand extreme temperatures. They are commonly used in aerospace, medical, and industrial settings, among others.

5. How does the cost of these plastics compare to other materials used for extreme temperature applications?

The cost of these plastics can vary depending on the specific material and application. However, in general, they are more expensive than traditional plastics but are often a more cost-effective option compared to other materials, such as metals, that are used for extreme temperature applications.